Building a table. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By FrankC

post #1 of 7 Old 11-12-2017, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

View Nate Peterman's Photo Album My Photos
Building a table.

So I am you g to build my second table. The first one I built turned out great. It was just a little to big for our dining room. My plan is to make a table where I can open it and store the leaf under the table has anyone done this before and is there any common issues with building this I have cherry rough cut lumber that I will be using I just have to get some for the legs. I will be posting pictures as I go. Thanks for all the advise in advance and I continue to read and take from all the forums and threads in here.

Nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-12-2017, 10:54 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It's not difficult to make a table to open for leaves. The hard part will be to make it where the leaf can be stored under the table.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-12-2017, 11:54 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
As Steve says storing the leaf under the table will not be easy, particularly on a smaller table, we have a double pedestal style with that feature, it has to open almost as much as the leaf is long to slide the leaf in because the apron section holds it at an angle. Ours has two 12" leafs, and has to open about 36", this is a 64" table that expands to 88". I would take a look at some furniture stores to get some ideas, there may be better alternatives than we have.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-13-2017, 06:36 PM

View terryh's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with the previous comments. It takes some careful design to get it all to work. I built a large trestle table a while back, and I probably spent as much time designing it as I did building it. The table top is 80"x42" without the extension. The extension piece is 29"x42", so the extended table is 109" long. For storage, the extension piece is turned upside down and rotated 90 degrees, so that the 42" direction lines up with the long direction of the table. The apron segments on the extension piece are hinged so that they can fold flat for storage. The 29" width just fits between the extension rails. I installed some handles on the bottom of the extension piece to facilitate getting it into position, since it is fairly heavy. The extension piece rests on rails that are visible in the second photo below.

A critical step in your design will be choosing the extension rail system, the table top dimensions, and the extension length. Also, I found it very useful to poke around on the web and see what others have done. There are lots of great ideas out there. Good luck with your project.

The photos below show 1) the table without the extension; 2) the storage space for the extension piece; 3) the extension piece being worked on in my shop; 4) the table with the extension in place; and 5) the extension piece in the stored position. I have one more photo to add which I'll do in a subsequent post, since I've reached my 5 photo limit for this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5649.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	324370  

Attached Images

post #5 of 7 Old 11-13-2017, 06:38 PM

View terryh's Photo Album My Photos
The final photo is the table in the extended position before installing the extension piece.
Attached Images

post #6 of 7 Old 11-14-2017, 08:55 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Take a look at this butterfly leaf:
Toolman50 likes this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #7 of 7 Old 11-14-2017, 10:59 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Table extensions can be purchased. It really simplifies and speeds up the build.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode