Building a custom piece of furniture advice needed - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 12-17-2017, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

View EnglishElm's Photo Album My Photos
Building a custom piece of furniture advice needed

Hello I'm building a custom piece of furniture for my tiny kitchen it will serve three purposes: to hide the rubbish (trash) bin, house cooking vegetables in wicker baskets and for a microwave to sit on top. Its a piece of furniture to solve problems in a limited space.

What I need help with is the joints. I was going to use simple dowel joints to join the oak flooring panels together to form the piece of furniture but I'm concerned that this will not be strong enough. (I don't really want to construct a frame to build it around due to limited space and it will complicate the design too much)

Design sketch and photo of wood I will use:
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-17-2017, 06:52 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you would glue the flooring together using wood glue and properly clamped it would be strong enough even without the dowels. Dowels will make it better. Now, normally a cabinet like that is constructed with plywood. Using solid wood you will need to make it all out of solid wood and keep the grain of the wood running all the same direction. Wood shrinks as it ages and if you glue any wood to the flooring in a perpendicular direction when the wood shrinks it will cause it to split.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-17-2017, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Ok thanks I'll use dowel joints then and hopefully wood shrinkage won't be too much of a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-17-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishElm View Post
Ok thanks I'll use dowel joints then and hopefully wood shrinkage won't be too much of a problem.
On the flooring one edge has a tongue and the other a groove. If you cut a small piece of wood with the tongue and another with the groove to put over the edge of the wood when you drill the hole for the dowel there will only be minimal splintering. Use a doweling jig and a brad point drill bit.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-17-2017, 12:47 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
You can make it easier on yourself to use plywood. You can face all the edges with your solid hardwood and even use the solid hardwood for the top and door. Plywood would be so much faster and easier.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #6 of 7 Old 12-17-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
On the flooring one edge has a tongue and the other a groove. If you cut a small piece of wood with the tongue and another with the groove to put over the edge of the wood when you drill the hole for the dowel there will only be minimal splintering. Use a doweling jig and a brad point drill bit.
I'm not quite following you there. I'll use the tounge and groove for joining where possible such as on the sides and back of the piece. Its only where the sides and back meet the top piece of the furniture and the bottom piece that I'll use dowel joints.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-17-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishElm View Post
I'm not quite following you there. I'll use the tounge and groove for joining where possible such as on the sides and back of the piece. Its only where the sides and back meet the top piece of the furniture and the bottom piece that I'll use dowel joints.
OK, I misunderstood. I thought you were going to use dowels too where the flooring is tongue and grooved.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode