Building bathroom vanity help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 03-28-2012, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

View LearnByDoing's Photo Album My Photos
Building bathroom vanity help

I wold like to build a vanity for my master bath. It will be 6 ft wide and 2ft deep. Vessel sinks will sit on top. It will have a center cupboard with a door. Whole thing will receive several coats of satin poly. Top will get extra.

The frame and legs will be built out of solid cherry. But I would like to build the top and cupboard door out of cherry veneer plywood. The top would be 3/4 doubled up and edged with solid cherry. The door would be 3/4 and edge banded with veneer. My question is regarding stability of the plywood. Particularly on the door which will be about 18x18 inch. I want the look of a frameless door but don't want it to warp. Was also considering veneering a piece of mdf since its more stable. Thoughts on warping of top or door? Should I go solid wood for both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-28-2012, 11:35 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Unless you just get a bad sheet of plywood should get more stability out of the plywood than the solid wood. When you do your finishing be sure to finish both sides of everything including the counter top. It's usually when the moisture content of wood gets greater on one side than the other warping occurs so it's important to seal both sides. I personally don't like using mdf in locations where water is present. If exposed to water enough the stuff can swell up twice it's size.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
LearnByDoing (03-28-2012)
post #3 of 8 Old 03-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnByDoing View Post
I wold like to build a vanity for my master bath. It will be 6 ft wide and 2ft deep. Vessel sinks will sit on top. It will have a center cupboard with a door. Whole thing will receive several coats of satin poly. Top will get extra.

The frame and legs will be built out of solid cherry. But I would like to build the top and cupboard door out of cherry veneer plywood. The top would be 3/4 doubled up and edged with solid cherry. The door would be 3/4 and edge banded with veneer. My question is regarding stability of the plywood. Particularly on the door which will be about 18x18 inch. I want the look of a frameless door but don't want it to warp. Was also considering veneering a piece of mdf since its more stable. Thoughts on warping of top or door? Should I go solid wood for both?
So, you changed your mind from Douglas Fir:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f9/us...-vanity-34458/

I would rather not use either solid wood or hardwood plywood for a vanity top. You could get very lucky and experience no warping or damage to the top. Both plywood and solid wood have their pluses and minuses. As for the doors, plywood finished properly will be fairly moisture resistant. Under the same finishing protocols, a composite that you veneered should also fare well. There's no guarantee that any substrate used for slab doors will or won't warp.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
LearnByDoing (03-28-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-28-2012, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
So, you changed your mind from Douglas Fir:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f9/us...-vanity-34458/

I would rather not use either solid wood or hardwood plywood for a vanity top. You could get very lucky and experience no warping or damage to the top. Both plywood and solid wood have their pluses and minuses. As for the doors, plywood finished properly will be fairly moisture resistant. Under the same finishing protocols, a composite that you veneered should also fare well. There's no guarantee that any substrate used for slab doors will or won't warp.

LOL... Yes, I have changed my mind. And totally forgot I even asked the question. Partly design related, partly because of poor feedback on using doug fir, and partly becuase I have access to some nice cherry cheap!

I tend to hem and haw on these things for a long time before I go for it. But the bathroom tiling is going to be done soon and I need to start building something....
post #5 of 8 Old 03-29-2012, 07:40 AM

You might consider using a more conventional material for the top. Making the top out of wood can be done however it will take more maintenance than I believe you want to do. Anytime someone gets water on it, it should be dried off and the finish will get scuffed and scratched to where it will have to be frequently recoated.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-29-2012, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

I could certainly have some kind of solid surface or stone top fabricated. It's more a design thing. There will be a lot of stone tile throughout the bathroom so I want some wood to warm it up. I also want the table that the vessels sit on to look like an actual table. I plan on hitting the top with several coats of spar varnish. Since it's in the master bath I don't think it will take the same beating as a kids bathroom.

Below is a pic of a design I sketched if anyone is interest. I appreciate all of the feedback!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0146.jpg
Views:	3144
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	42007  

post #7 of 8 Old 03-29-2012, 08:04 PM

That's a nice design. If you can afford it I think white marble would look good for the top.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-29-2012, 10:59 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
I've seen two wooden top vanities. They looked great at first and then after a couple of years they are a disaster.

Pick something, it really doesn't matter much what you pick, resin, resin w/quartz, Formica, Corian, Corian substitute (Not Swan stone), granite, marble, yada, yada, yada.

You'll do it now and then in about 2 or 3 decades you get tired of the top and think about doing it again. Use wood, and you'll be doing it every few years.

Think about it this way. Consider a boat. Think of the surfaces that are NOT "in the water". If you own a boat, you're doing those surfaces every year or at best two years. That's what you're going to have to do with a wooden vanity top.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode