Birdhouse Plans - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 25 Old 08-01-2015, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

View Cogaha's Photo Album My Photos
Birdhouse Plans

Hello everyone! I am new here and I searched out this group because I hope to find either someone who makes this birdhouse OR someone who knows where I can get plans for one. I recently bought a home and this birdhouse was in the backyard, but it is rotted and weathered beyond repair. I LOVE it and want one just like it, but I have had no luck in finding one. Can any of you help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	175522  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-01-2015, 05:11 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Plans... who need's 'em

Get an oatmeal container and a whole pack of tongue depressors. Get a hot glue gun and start at the bottom gluing them on all around. Overlap the next layer and so on until you reach the top. If they don't measure out, break them off at the correct length or saw them. Put them at an angle for the roof and let them hang down over the sides a bit like the photo. You could make a cardboard cone to help keep them straight and flat. Build your way around lapping them on the bottom or it may leak. Push a circle of wood up into the bottom, cut a hole for the entrance and paint it.....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-01-2015 at 05:15 PM.
post #3 of 25 Old 08-01-2015, 05:30 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like one of those "summer camp" projects, but it can be duplicated if you follow the great advice and ideas from woodnthings! It may be for only yard decoration & not for living, as the "house" does have more than one entry. What ever live-able birdhouse you build, please included air holes and a way to open for cleaning. Be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 08-01-2015, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, but....

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I don't think this is a summer camp project kind of deal. The birdhouse is between 2-3 feet tall and is built on a wood base that is around 12" in diameter. It is made of wood--but not wooden Popsicle sticks

I have found several birdhouses with shingle roofs online, but never this exact design, and the ones that I have found are quite expensive. I could take it apart and try to replicate it that way, but finding plans seems like a better idea (or finding one for sale because I am open to purchasing as well).

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply. Hopefully someone will come along who maybe knows where to find plans.
post #5 of 25 Old 08-01-2015, 06:34 PM

View asevereid's Photo Album My Photos
Look up the user cranbrook2 here... He's big into birdhouses and may be able to help.

Hey, @cranbrook2! (trying out the tag system here)
post #6 of 25 Old 08-01-2015, 07:15 PM
where's my table saw?

I will bet you won't find plans for that one

That one was "thrown" together from scraps and tongue depressors, not popsicle sticks for the roof shingles. They are about 6" long and about 3/4" wide with rounded ends.

It doesn't have a professional look, rather a crude and crafty home made unit. That's why I think there are no "plans". I gave you a way to make it, and it couldn't be more simple. If that won't work, then plan on a long, difficult search for the same unit and buy one. I'll bet that won't happen.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 25 Old 08-01-2015, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Wow, I came here with a serious question. You cannot be serious that you think you gave me a way to duplicate a wooden birdhouse by gluing Popsicle sticks to an oatmeal container!?!?! The birdhouse might not look "professional" but I think it suits the character of my log cabin in the mountains perfectly. I may not find plans. I may or may not take it apart and try to duplicate it. I may or may not purchase something similar but not the same. What I won't do is come back here again with an honest request for help from people I thought might make an honest attempt to help.
post #8 of 25 Old 08-01-2015, 08:23 PM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
What tools do you have?

Jug saw? Table saw?

I believe woodnthings is quite accurate--that project looks to be made without plans--using what materials the craftsman had on hand---

Let us know what tools you have--we will try to guide you as best we can---
post #9 of 25 Old 08-01-2015, 09:08 PM
where's my table saw?

when you come back ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogaha View Post
Wow, I came here with a serious question. You cannot be serious that you think you gave me a way to duplicate a wooden birdhouse by gluing Popsicle sticks to an oatmeal container!?!?! The birdhouse might not look "professional" but I think it suits the character of my log cabin in the mountains perfectly. I may not find plans. I may or may not take it apart and try to duplicate it. I may or may not purchase something similar but not the same. What I won't do is come back here again with an honest request for help from people I thought might make an honest attempt to help.
You may want to reread the reply... no popsicle sticks.. and an honest attempt to help. So sorry for your confusion. How do you determine what is an honest reply from a dishonest one?

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-01-2015 at 09:13 PM.
post #10 of 25 Old 08-01-2015, 09:27 PM

View BradB's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogaha View Post
Hello everyone! I am new here and I searched out this group because I hope to find either someone who makes this birdhouse OR someone who knows where I can get plans for one.
Here is a link for plans for a similar one that are quite reasonable. Sorry but some people on here seem to have a way of driving away new members. Hence why I don't contribute much. This is not the first time I have seen this here. Sad!

Professional De-Organizer

"Call us for when life is going too well"
post #11 of 25 Old 08-01-2015, 09:59 PM
where's my table saw?

it's a darn shame...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradB View Post
Here is a link for plans for a similar one that are quite reasonable. Sorry but some people on here seem to have a way of driving away new members. Hence why I don't contribute much. This is not the first time I have seen this here. Sad!
Where's your link Brad?
popsicle sticks maybe?
People ask for help, then can't read, a darn shame.

post #12 of 25 Old 08-01-2015, 10:34 PM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
Be nice--

TED--He has 16,000 plans!! I wonder if he has that one--
post #13 of 25 Old 08-01-2015, 10:40 PM
where's my table saw?

I am sufficently pissed off now

Not at you mike, but I'm gonna make one of those using an oatmeal carton and some tongue depressors just to prove it can be done and it will look a whole lot better than that ugly arse thing that was posted.

It may take a day, but I'll post the build process here for all to see.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (08-02-2015), woodchux (08-02-2015)
post #14 of 25 Old 08-02-2015, 08:25 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Cogaha, You never did say what type of tools or abilities/talents you have for woodworking. Getting answers to questions is "like a box of chocolates - you never know what you'll get until you bite into one". Be safe.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodchux For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (08-02-2015)
post #15 of 25 Old 08-02-2015, 12:58 PM
where's my table saw?

look Ma, no plans

As stated I built the bird house using an oatmeal container, a fast food conrtainer, and a yogurt container. I made my own shingles from Cypress strips because the drug store didn't have any tongue depressors and the Pharmacy wasn't open at 9:00 AM on Sunday. Here's the build:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2890.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	175586  

Attached Images

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-02-2015 at 03:55 PM.
post #16 of 25 Old 08-02-2015, 01:02 PM
where's my table saw?

I used the following tools

My tablesaw and a thin rip jig for the Cypress strips, a radial arm saw for the crosscuts, and a bandsaw for the tapers and rounded ends.

I used a hot glue gun for attaching all the pieces including the containers. I forgot how much that hot glue hurts when you get it on your fingers.
Attached Images

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-02-2015 at 03:57 PM.
post #17 of 25 Old 08-02-2015, 01:04 PM
where's my table saw?

I guessed at all the tapers

My guess was pretty close with some slight gaps between the shingles. Close enough for a bird house.

I inserted the circular plugs inside the oatmeal container to act as partitions between the two levels.
Attached Images

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-02-2015 at 03:58 PM.
post #18 of 25 Old 08-02-2015, 01:07 PM
where's my table saw?

continuing on ...

Gluing on the shingles and making the half holes for entrances:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2910.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	175754  

Name:	100_2911.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	175762  

Attached Images

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-02-2015 at 03:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Toolman50 (08-02-2015)
post #19 of 25 Old 08-02-2015, 01:08 PM
where's my table saw?

almost done

It took about 2 hours to build mine.

The original:

Mine:

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-02-2015 at 04:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Toolman50 (08-02-2015)
post #20 of 25 Old 08-02-2015, 04:37 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Your finished picture didn't show up. That is really cool though, didn't take you long to build it at all. Nice!

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
woodchux (08-02-2015), woodnthings (08-02-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode