best material for workbench top - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 24 Old 03-08-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

View brucet999's Photo Album My Photos
best material for workbench top

I need to replace the splintery top of my workbench; 81" x 30". What is the best material to use?

Is there any reason not to use plywood with formica laminate?

Thanks

BruceT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-08-2019, 10:50 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, that's too slippery ......

You want a smooth surface that's not too slippery because everything you use pressure against will move away from you too easily. I use 3/4" countertop particle board with 2 or 3 coats of shellac. It's stlll easy to pop off the glue drops, but not so slick I'm chasing my projects around on it. I also needed it 30" x 120" long, so it was a perfect fit. It's also been flipped over one time to refresh the surface, although it wasn't really all that buggered up....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 24 Old 03-08-2019, 11:53 PM
An experienced novice

View GuitarPhotographer's Photo Album My Photos
I put 3/16" tempered Masonite (hardboard) on my workbench top. That way when it gets too buggered to use, I just remove the screwed-down top layer and replace only that.

My $0.02 worth
GeorgeC and hawkeye10 like this.

<Chas>
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 03-09-2019, 01:09 AM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
I built my workbench using construction lumber 2x6s. It is very heavy, but also very soft, and dings easily. I covered mine with hardboard (masonite). that helps alot.

... turning perfectly good wood into firewood every day ... :smile3:
post #5 of 24 Old 03-09-2019, 01:26 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I use leftover laminate flooring, it just lays on top of the bench.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #6 of 24 Old 03-09-2019, 08:47 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I normally use 3/4" birch plywood for a bench top with the exception of a carving bench where I hammer on it often which has a 2" thick ash top. It needs to be more solid.
post #7 of 24 Old 03-09-2019, 09:20 AM
Go the distance!

View justdraftn's Photo Album My Photos
I built a new bench top w/const grade 2x4. Jointed w/3/8" dowels.
It is really heavy and stands up to most any kind of pounding.
Put a piece of T track in the middle and made some hold downs.
Works very well.
If the top get too gnarled I'll just put a piece of Masonite on it.

best material for workbench top-img_6038.jpg
PPBART and Tool Agnostic like this.
post #8 of 24 Old 03-09-2019, 11:26 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarPhotographer View Post
I put 3/16" tempered Masonite (hardboard) on my workbench top. That way when it gets too buggered to use, I just remove the screwed-down top layer and replace only that.

My $0.02 worth

I do the same.

George
post #9 of 24 Old 03-09-2019, 11:48 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
I have always used 3/4" plywood on my workbench, with no finish, no nothing. I dont ever use a finishing product on it and I certainly don't want any oil on it. In addition to the normal power tools for woodworking, there are thse times that I need to use my workbench for whatever. when I need to hold things in place I dont think twice about using a brad nailer to nail stuff down. "

I also always had assembly tables and they were always covered with laminate. With laminate, I could make a quick sketch or notes with a marker or a dry erase marker. Glue, epoxy, stain, and just about everything else will quickly come off of plastic laminate with the help of a little lacquer thinner on a rag.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Denison, Tx
post #10 of 24 Old 03-09-2019, 02:16 PM

View Larry42's Photo Album My Photos
The ideas of using a replaceable material seem valid. Particle board, MDF are cheap and readily available. I personally wouldn't use plywood, voids, splinters. A lot depends on how you use your bench. I have a German made cabinet makers bench that has a lot of advantages for work holding. The top is laminated beech. I got it used and it was pretty beat up. I did some repairs and it works well. It has the traditional waist and end vices plus bench dogs.
post #11 of 24 Old 03-09-2019, 03:25 PM
Recycled Member

Location: Magnificently mountainous McBride in the Robson Valley
View Brian T's Photo Album My Photos
I drew a grid of black felt marker lines on the lid of my white deep freezer. That's my assembly bench.
My 96" "work" bench is just construction 2x6, unfinished. Lots of dings and cuts and bolt holes.
I made a ladder frame of 2x4 and screwed the 2x6 to that. Expedient? Exactly.
post #12 of 24 Old 03-09-2019, 04:33 PM

View pots43's Photo Album My Photos
I have a very heavy steel roll around that I glued some southern pine 2x4 together to fit on top.
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FE7E13D3-A945-472B-BC6E-369FC15624D3.jpg (336.8 KB, 78 views)
post #13 of 24 Old 03-09-2019, 05:01 PM

View bhud35's Photo Album My Photos
Mine is 1/4" particle board on top of 3/4" plywood. Works great and has handled all the abuse I've thrown at it.

Brian

For Step-by-Step Designs, I use Ted's Woodworking: http://bhud35.tedsplans.hop.**************?tid=tracking
post #14 of 24 Old 03-09-2019, 11:31 PM
Timber Wright-Guide

View Jay C. White Cloud's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucet999 View Post
I need to replace the splintery top of my workbench; 81" x 30". What is the best material to use?

Thanks
Hi Bruce,

I do not see why you couldn't use a plywood material. I don't (for the most part) think there is a "wrong material" for a bench top. Choose what works for what you want it to do. Formica is really smooth, but it can work well for some types of work, yet may not hold up as well to scratching and digging as other materials, so may only be applicable to certain types of liter (less abusive?) projects...

I like traditional bench types the most...and as such...I just "resruface" tops when they actually need it.

Does your bench have enough thickness to yield a new top surface if you take away 3mm to 6mm from it?

Tosa Tomo Designs
Confucius (551 BCE): "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand..." "...Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance..." Socrates:“I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only help them think..."
Stephen Covey:"Seek to understand, before seeking to be understood..."
post #15 of 24 Old 03-10-2019, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

View brucet999's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay C. White Cloud View Post
Hi Bruce,

Does your bench have enough thickness to yield a new top surface if you take away 3mm to 6mm from it?
I'd say so. It is made in about 1940, of 2x10 doug fir nailed with 10d commons. Might be a little difficult to plane smooth with those big nail heads, but certainly substantial enough to support something like hardboard or MDF to make a smooth, non-splintery surface.
post #16 of 24 Old 03-10-2019, 03:33 AM
Timber Wright-Guide

View Jay C. White Cloud's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I'd say so. It is made in about 1940, of 2x10 doug fir nailed with 10d commons. Might be a little difficult to plane smooth with those big nail heads, but certainly substantial enough to support something like hardboard or MDF to make a smooth, non-splintery surface.
Go for it Bruce...that sounds like a bench with "great bones" and will last several generations if a new top is added when necessary. You will know soon enough if you choice was a wise one (for you) and there is not reason the additions of a new top can't be reversible in the future, should you chose to do so.

Pictures of the "before and after" would be fun to see...

Tosa Tomo Designs
Confucius (551 BCE): "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand..." "...Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance..." Socrates:“I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only help them think..."
Stephen Covey:"Seek to understand, before seeking to be understood..."
post #17 of 24 Old 03-10-2019, 10:41 PM

View jld123's Photo Album My Photos
bench top

I got an industrial door from a hospital. 1 3/4 thick, very heavy duty formica surface that so far no chemical hurts it. easy to clean,had it for 30 years.
Jay C. White Cloud likes this.
post #18 of 24 Old 03-11-2019, 09:49 PM

View Onefreetexan's Photo Album My Photos
Probably not much help,,, However my work bench is 2 1/2’ thick of what kind of wood, I don’t know....maybe walnut, maybe beech,,, It is a workbench removed from a WWII factory.....so over 60 yrs olde, I give it a rough sand every few years, holds up great for me.
Jay C. White Cloud likes this.
post #19 of 24 Old 03-12-2019, 02:13 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Curl View Post
I built my workbench using construction lumber 2x6s. It is very heavy, but also very soft, and dings easily. I covered mine with hardboard (masonite). that helps alot.
i did this too*, my workbench is 2x6 t&g, though i don't cover mine with hardboard.
i screw, nail and drill into my all the time without thinking about it.
need a stop? screw one down

*actually my father made this workbench 40 yrs ago, same top in use
post #20 of 24 Old 03-14-2019, 07:02 PM

View Cornstalk Wood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

Thanks
I’ll take the other perspective. In my small basement shop I re-used a large island countertop (laminate) as an outfeed table and workbench. I find that it is adequately slippery enough as an outfeed, while being durable enough for a work surface. When glue or other “stuff” gets on it, it’s easy to scrape, it stands up to most solvents to clean paints, and other coatings off. I like it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode