• 2 Post By matko
  • 1 Post By Flamel

post #1 of 14 Old 01-19-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Nails are the devil.

View Flamel's Photo Album My Photos
A bed. Will it hold?

Hello everyone

First time poster here.

I've been a weekend warrior for a few years now, but I'll be moving to an empty apartment this summer and have decided to try and make every piece of furniture myself. First stop is the bed.
I have a very simple design I wanna use, however I would like your input on whether the frame I have in mind will be strong enough for long term... umm... use.
The main frame will be mostly out of construction grade pine, which is why I am concerned.
Will it be strong and stable enough for a bed?
For fastening I plan on using either bolts or thick screws with heavy duty L joints. I want to be able to disassemble the bed so M&T or dowels are out. Will bolts and/or screws hold?

Attached are the plans for the 200 x 160 bed (measurements in centimeters). The Grey is particle board. The rest is construction grade pine.

The thickness of the beams:
Red - 8x12
Green - 10x10
Brown - 5x8
Grey (Part. Board) - 2,5x17

Any opinions and suggestions?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-19-2017, 12:34 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
What you have is plenty heavy enough. If you could use solid wood for the gray you could omit the red boards. If you wanted it extra strong you might run one red board down the middle however most beds don't have it. The brown boards, normally there is only three used if you are using a box springs. If not I would use five or six boards and cover it with plywood.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-19-2017, 02:29 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Is this a joke? Is this a bed for an elephant?

That is overkill in every aspect. It would take an elephant to move it.

Sit back and think about this for a bit. Then start over.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-19-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Nails are the devil.

Hehe, yeah i do admit "overkill" is kinda my middle name when it comes to building things, and like I've said, I am a newbie.
However the main reason for using the beams like that is that I can get them ready cut, since I am extremely limited in terms of tools. So I was kind of thinking to just buy them, have them cut to length, and assemble the bed.
Do you think construction grade pine beams thinner than 8x12 cm for the side and middle rails and 5x8 cm for the slats will be strong enough? I feel like i need to stress that this is construction grade pine since I've been reading that it's not as strong as furniture grade wood coz it apparently has higher water content.
I am also interested whether metal L joints or bolts would be better for fastening.

Again, sorry if these questions seem too newbish.

Last edited by Flamel; 01-19-2017 at 03:15 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-19-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Nails are the devil.

Steve, thanks for the input.

The reason i went with slats is coz I've known of mattresses set upon a sold board base that had problems with moisture retention. And I wont be using a box spring mattress. Just a normal 160x200 one.
And I'm kind of leaning toward particle board for the grey bits since it's only job is gonna be to hide the skeleton of the bed and save me the bother of painting it white (since I can get a decent looking solid white particle board).
post #6 of 14 Old 01-19-2017, 04:38 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
That's pretty massively overbuilt as mentioned, but other than that I don't see any flaws in the design. Even then, overbuilding isn't much of a flaw, some people like the look and some don't. Personally I lean more to shaker style, but everybody has their tastes. Just a thought, but if you used solid wood instead of particleboard for the grey pieces and used a semi-dark stain with lagbolts holding everything together, you'd get a pretty nice rustic farmhouse kindve look

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #7 of 14 Old 01-19-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Nails are the devil.

Thanks for chipping in epicfail48

I've been thinking about it, and now I'm beginning to wonder whether instead of the 8x12 beams for the side and middle rails, I can use two 5x8 cm boards stacked vertically on top of each-other, thereby effectively getting 5x16 boards. (The reason for not buying 5x16s in the first place is that the place where I plan to shop at don't have them). Will that still be strong enough? I somehow can't shake all the things I've read about construction lumber not being up to the task...

Also, I'm still deciding between screwed into L joints, lag bolts, and carriage bolts.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-22-2017, 07:39 AM

View matko's Photo Album My Photos
hallo, I used dry mortise joint + 2 pieces winkel in every corner. It trim very hard and silent for every time. all part of it may to be dismantled
Attached Images

martin

Last edited by matko; 01-22-2017 at 08:06 AM.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-22-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Nails are the devil.

Thanks matko

I'm probably gonna go with similar fastening method, although I have changed the design slightly from the one above. The foot beam will be a 5x8 instead of 10x10 and the side rails will rest on top of the legs. This will make it both stronger and much simpler to assemble. The headboard will be plywood, since it'll give me more options to customize the upholstery on it later on. Here is a snap of the updated skeleton design (minus the slats). It still might be too chunky, but I like my furniture slightly on the overkill side. :)
Attached Images

matko likes this.

Last edited by Flamel; 01-22-2017 at 01:32 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-22-2017, 06:14 PM

You draw it better flamel, use leg support more fat in front bed.....it wil support 2pieces of parts in front corner...it will maybe better.

I thing, 3pieces of suport in centre wil enough.(not 5)

martin

Last edited by matko; 01-22-2017 at 06:23 PM.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-23-2017, 03:04 AM

View Rodrat's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like the bed will be earthquake proof when finished. :D

Measure 6 times, cut 3. Plane it down wrong and go buy a second board.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-23-2017, 03:51 AM

Dont worry Flamel.
I made strong bed for big fat wild woman. 2 years before
Attached Images

Kerrys and Rodrat like this.

martin

Last edited by matko; 01-23-2017 at 03:57 AM.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-23-2017, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Nails are the devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrat View Post
Looks like the bed will be earthquake proof when finished. :D
Earthquakes are the least of my problems... if you catch my drift... *chuckle*chuckle*
Rodrat likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-23-2017, 09:29 AM
World's Tallest Midget

View Mort's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome. I don't have much to ad, but I'm about to be doing the same thing, and I suspect for the same reason. Bed is on my list too.

I hate signatures.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode