The bane of my existence - drawer questions please - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 30Likes

post #1 of 42 Old 05-17-2016, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
The bane of my existence - drawer questions please

I'm about to tackle drawers for the 3rd time - first 2 times I gave up.

This time what I plan on doing is making drawer boxes without sides - kinda more like a drawer frame.

These drawers will be used under 2 of my work benches so they don't have to be too pretty - but I would like them to come out ok though... for a change :(.

Anyway, the questions:

I don't want to use drawer guides - that seems to be one of my problems. Instead I saw some drawers that use just a wooden runners that the drawer rests on and slide on.

Would using this technique allow the drawer to slide ok and not tilt out of the drawer slot? I'm not going to be dadoing the drawer sides.

The wood I'm using for the frames is common, 1x3 and for the runners I'm splitting a 1x2.

The drawers will be 1/2" sanded maple or birch ply not sure which yet.

One of my concerns is the type of wood I'm using for the runners is not hardwood - will that not allow the drawer to slide? I planned on using wax on the runners and the drawer bottoms.

Thanks as always in advance - once I start I'm going to post the progress up to the point I take an axe to the whole thing and make firewood :)

Last edited by new2woodwrk; 05-17-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 05-17-2016, 01:43 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I'm confused. Aren't drawers without sides called shelves?? We might need a rough drawing of what your trying to do.
new2woodwrk likes this.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
The Following User Says Thank You to ryan50hrl For This Useful Post:
new2woodwrk (05-17-2016)
post #3 of 42 Old 05-17-2016, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Here ya go - this is what I am talking about with no sides, just a frame

See the runners?

Also, this is one unit - I'm going to build this in 3 units
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 05-17-2016, 03:03 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
Although I've built rough drawers for my garage storage, I've never tried to do them without using store-bought slides. Just too easy to install them, and they make opening and closing drawers filled with heavy stuff very easy.

Most of the drawers I've had/seen in bedroom suites are on wood guides like you show. Designed to hold clothes without a lot of weight. They work fine as long as you don't put too much in them. I've used bedroom chests of drawers for the garage before ... and too much weight will make the drawers less user friendly.
new2woodwrk likes this.
post #5 of 42 Old 05-17-2016, 03:12 PM
Sawdust Creator

So the cabinet won't have sides, but the drawer will. Got it.

The issue I see with this is there isn't anything keeping the drawer square in the opening as you pull it in and out. Otherwise it would work...

Any reason your avoiding drawer slides??
new2woodwrk likes this.

post #6 of 42 Old 05-17-2016, 03:12 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Put a strip of formica for the drawers to slide on, smooth as silk and works very easy, can hardly tell the difference between slides and the formica strip.
new2woodwrk likes this.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #7 of 42 Old 05-17-2016, 03:21 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
we have some Danish designed stuff - for the last near 50 years....

the drawers have a slot, the carcass has a rail.
looks like maple - it's hard. still works perfectly.

methinks both the rail&drawer body need to be hard hard hardwood. elsewise they'll rub&wear and get stickly / no more easy slide.

weight aka shelf loading will also play a role. a sock drawer does not impose the same conditions as a 20 lb air nailer......
new2woodwrk likes this.
post #8 of 42 Old 05-17-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
So the cabinet won't have sides, but the drawer will. Got it.

The issue I see with this is there isn't anything keeping the drawer square in the opening as you pull it in and out. Otherwise it would work...

Any reason your avoiding drawer slides??
Good question and yes there is...

My 2 other tries were both with slides and I am unable to get the drawers measured correctly, the guides installed correctly and the drawers to actually roll in and out. They're always skewed so bad they won't slide, or they are installed so the drawer doesn't go all the way in or it goes in too far. It's really discouraging.

Plus it's an added expense I don't want to incur. I have some old slides I took out of older cheap furniture/desks that I use - but this method with the wood runners seems much easier to me.

I really need a win with drawers as it's stopping me from doing a lot of projects I have on my list. It's very discouraging to not be able to make drawers for my carts and tables.

BigJim - that's a great idea - and easy too - thanks!

Last edited by new2woodwrk; 05-17-2016 at 03:27 PM.
post #9 of 42 Old 05-17-2016, 03:29 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
New2
From your picture, it seems you have your plan and now ready to go.
Your plans looks like a good one to me.
I prefer a hardwood runner myself, but if you use softwood, use a harder softwood like yellow pine. Because this is for your shop, the drawers will eventually get a lot of weight, but the drawers will not get opened and closed as much as a kitchen drawer.
I like to put a stop at the back of my drawers so they can't be pulled completely out without bypassing the stop.
Also, I probably would not split the 1 X 2 for the glides. I'd use it as is which is only 3/4" X 1 1/2"
Pre-drill the guides to prevent splitting.
new2woodwrk likes this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #10 of 42 Old 05-17-2016, 03:47 PM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe you can tell us how you make your drawer frames and drawer boxes. We could give you some tips. It really sounds like you need the basics down.

If they're not both square and in the right proportion to each other, you'll have trouble, as you've seen.

What type of material? What type of saw? Do you cut matching sides at once, or measure each one separately? How are you joining the drawer fronts/backs and sides? How do you approach the drawer bottoms? Do you make drawers from measurements, or to fit frames that are already completed?

Also start simple, with 1/2" plywood, butt joints, glue and then predrill for #6 screws. Work on getting those square before you move on.
subroc and new2woodwrk like this.
post #11 of 42 Old 05-17-2016, 04:24 PM
Sawdust Creator

I'd tend to agree....let's walk through drawers step by step and get their production done, then move on to their mounting.

If the drawers aren't square or flat, they won't work on hardwood runners either.
subroc and new2woodwrk like this.

post #12 of 42 Old 05-17-2016, 04:29 PM
Sawdust Creator

Incase it's helpful, I showed my drawer construction step by step in my most recent project.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/shop-storage-131721/
new2woodwrk and Toolman50 like this.

post #13 of 42 Old 05-17-2016, 04:36 PM
Sawdust Creator

Also....one last thing. If your really set on not using slides, square drawers will still be really important.

On the bottom row of drawers I notice there is a lip next to the slide that keeps the drawer from angling out the side of the cabinet. I'd make sure that was in all drawer openings to keep the drawers moving in and out straight.

I'm not convinced you can't just use soft wood for runners on shop cabinets, my Inlaws cabinets in their kitchen used pine runners that functioned daily for 50 years until I tore them out last year. They had worn considerably, but they got used daily for 50 years.
new2woodwrk likes this.

post #14 of 42 Old 05-17-2016, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
What type of material?
Plywood is all I've used to date on anything

Quote:
What type of saw?
Delta 36-725
Quote:
Do you cut matching sides at once, or measure each one separately?
Usually I cut the 2 corresponding sides for the drawers together - but I did do the first by cutting and measuring each one separately - I've learned a lot since the first firewood... err drawers!
Quote:
How are you joining the drawer fronts/backs and sides?
I have a 90 degree jig I made, I clamp 1 front and 1 side, glue it, then brad nail, then the same for the other side except I use the side and the back. Then join the 2 units together. Now I have 4 - 90 degree clamps I use also.
Quote:
How do you approach the drawer bottoms?
I take a sheet of 1/4 and brad nail it to the bottom - no dados yet - although my bottoms always seem to be off by about 1/16. I thought my saw was out of alignment but I've checked it over and over and I can't see where it's out that much
Quote:
Do you make drawers from measurements, or to fit frames that are already completed?
Both actually - my first I tried to fit the drawers to the frames - that didn't work. The 2nd I made 3 drawers and figured I make the boxes to fit - they're not firewood yet, still sitting there while I scratch my head how to get them together!
Quote:
Also start simple, with 1/2" plywood, butt joints, glue and then predrill for #6 screws. Work on getting those square before you move on.
I always predrill - it's now a habit

Thanks for the advice
subroc likes this.

Last edited by new2woodwrk; 05-17-2016 at 05:02 PM.
post #15 of 42 Old 05-17-2016, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Ryan, I saw your build and commented a few times on it - excellent looking cabinet

Quote:
Also....one last thing. If your really set on not using slides, square drawers will still be really important.

On the bottom row of drawers I notice there is a lip next to the slide that keeps the drawer from angling out the side of the cabinet. I'd make sure that was in all drawer openings to keep the drawers moving in and out straight.
I think that's part of the frame

Quote:
I'm not convinced you can't just use soft wood for runners on shop cabinets, my Inlaws cabinets in their kitchen used pine runners that functioned daily for 50 years until I tore them out last year. They had worn considerably, but they got used daily for 50 years.
Works for me :)

Thanks as always for the advice
post #16 of 42 Old 05-17-2016, 05:52 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2woodwrk View Post
Here ya go - this is what I am talking about with no sides, just a frame

See the runners?

Also, this is one unit - I'm going to build this in 3 units
That type drawer system works however the drawers need to fit fairly snug or they will bind. Then sometimes the wood swells and binds the drawer. This system the drawer box can be made looser and will give you fewer problems.
Attached Images

new2woodwrk likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
new2woodwrk (05-17-2016)
post #17 of 42 Old 05-17-2016, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
This system the drawer box can be made looser and will give you fewer problems.
Doesn't that require a router to cut out the center??
post #18 of 42 Old 05-17-2016, 07:45 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I'm confused. Aren't drawers without sides called shelves?? We might need a rough drawing of what your trying to do.
I just spit my coffee all over the screen.
new2woodwrk likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to subroc For This Useful Post:
new2woodwrk (05-17-2016)
post #19 of 42 Old 05-17-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by subroc View Post
I just spit my coffee all over the screen.
I know right LOL
post #20 of 42 Old 05-17-2016, 09:08 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2woodwrk View Post
I know right LOL
That was no way directed at you or even about your learning curve. Just his comment was humorous.

I feel your pain. I am new to woodworking as well. Every step is a journey. I follow yours with interest.
new2woodwrk likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode