• 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 3 Post By woodnthings
  • 2 Post By hawkeye10
  • 1 Post By ibboykin

post #1 of 9 Old 08-26-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

View red68mgb's Photo Album My Photos
Question Another shop layout guidance thread

Hello all,
Seeking guidance for a small shop in my basement...

A Tentative layout of basement shop in my small house is attached below.

I know a basement shop is not the ideal choice, but its the only option in our current situation.

The 19 and 128 walls are concrete foundation walls which cant be studded out due to a horizontal plumbing dwv line. I plan to paint those walls. Other walls will be studded w/ insulation. Ceiling is 8 high and will have suspended tiles and lighing. There will be one 220/30 amp circuit and two 110/20 amp circuits. Thinking about a 1 layer of spray foam on the ceiling to help control noise and dust.

Mostly I do projects for family and friends anything from shelving units to replacement cabinet doors/drawer fronts to a few cabinets. This is a hobby shop, not for a business. I may add a band saw at some point.

Questions:
-What wall covering on framed walls? Sheetrock, plywood, OSB?

-Should I put in a switched bathroom type exhaust fan vented through the rim joist near corner by DC?

-Miter saw station would take up most of the 19 wall. Has anyone seen a station that can be adjusted to accommodate a bench top drill press? An alternate thought is to put an adjustable and removable platform between the two work tables (which will be mobile as is the table saw.)

Any other ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf shop layout.pdf (467.8 KB, 44 views)

Jim

"I've learned the hard way that I can't afford to buy cheap tools"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-26-2019, 04:04 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
The arrangement will be up to you.....

The concept of a recessed area for the drill press, miter saw or table saw is very popular among shop owners, whether basement or otherwise. These examples should provide inspiration:
https://www.google.com/search?q=buil...w=1536&bih=750

red68mgb likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 9 Old 08-26-2019, 06:38 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Why would a miter saw take up most of a 19' wall? You can put shelving/cabinets on that wall. Just have it arranged so that the saw is arranged so that lumber being sawed will be in front of whatever is on the wall.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-27-2019, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=GeorgeC;2068141]Why would a miter saw take up most of a 19' wall? You can put shelving/cabinets on that wall. Just have it arranged so that the saw is arranged so that lumber being sawed will be in front of whatever is on the wall.

Good question - I find I do a lot of cutting with my miter saw (Ridgid 12" sliding compound.) There's a good local source of cheap S2S soft maple that is great for face frames and similar. Prepping it with the miter saw works well. I like the plans for miter stations that allow for 8' to the left of the saw, 4+' to the right, plus the saw platform. That will be 14-15' but will include ample storage.
Thank you.

Jim

post #5 of 9 Old 08-27-2019, 07:46 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Make it modular ....

Make a series of cabinets of different widths, some higher and some that are the recessed height for the miter saw or other tools. Then when you line them up all the tables and the support surfaces will be the same height for a flush top surface.

Kinda like this with individual cabinets:
http://lacasadelfisio.co/miter-saw-workbench/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 9 Old 08-27-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, woodnthings.
The 9th picture down the list is similar to what I have in mind. I'd add a permanent fence with stop blocks (Kreg?). Because of the slider track it will protrude from the wall enough to provide some type of dust collection hood - sorely needed with my saw.

Jim

post #7 of 9 Old 08-27-2019, 08:41 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Red, I would put everything on wheels so you can move everything around as needed. You will be surprised at how fast your shop will fill up. It seems I am always moving things around in my shop. I am trying to find just a little more space.
Tool Agnostic and red68mgb like this.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-20-2019, 05:49 AM

View ibboykin's Photo Album My Photos
I’m. It sure if you are interested but Grizzly has a free shop layout tool online. It’s simple to use and you can save your layouts. It inserts grizzly tools but that isn’t important in that most all tools are similar in size. The tool scales everything. You can even insert people into it so you can judge how much room you will have. I found it to be extremely helpful when I designed my shop

https://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner
red68mgb likes this.

WAOM
HYDR
post #9 of 9 Old 09-20-2019, 05:52 AM

View ibboykin's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye10 View Post
Hey Red, I would put everything on wheels so you can move everything around as needed. You will be surprised at how fast your shop will fill up. It seems I am always moving things around in my shop. I am trying to find just a little more space.
I 2nd this motion. I was undecided on mobile bases and at the last minute I went with mobile bases. I’m am so glad I did because regardless of what you put on paper, in the end you will always have adjustments.

WAOM
HYDR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode