Advice for Newbie's Design? (First Project) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 06-14-2013, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

View Jordan_SD's Photo Album My Photos
Advice for Newbie's Design? (First Project)

Hi, I have been checking out this forum for a little while as the woodworking bug bit me, and to top it off my awesome wife got me some tools for fathers day (including a Bosch router). Thought I would see if someone had any advice for my first project.

I am just getting into woodworking. I am handy with tools and have done plenty of construction/remodeling but never tried to make furniture before. My first project is a set of much needed bedside tables. Our style is somewhere between asian inspired and african, weird I know but that is the way it is.

Our current house has quite a bit of "shaker" style cabinetry and we really like that as well. So tonight I downloaded and tried to use sketchup, but the learning curve is a little steep so I had some trouble. I think what I have will give everyone a good idea of what my original idea is. The tables will end up being a very dark wood or stain (think espresso finish or a bit lighter than that).

Anyway my plans are to build this table 30" tall, 20"x20" square top. Aprons and supports will all be attached to the legs with dowels, or something simple like that.

In the image you will see what looks like a shelf with a large front face. The plan is for this to be a charging area for electronics and the shelf will actually slide out on undermount slides. Below that is a simple drawer for more storage.

If someone has design ideas to make this more "Asian" that would be awesome. These tables don't need to match anything but it will probably be the basis for a headboard and chest of drawers at a later date. I think the only two features that we are tied to is some sort of charging station and a drawer. Keep in mind that my tools are getting there but I still dont have a table saw or router table. I have limited handtools, miter saw, circ saw, router with plunge and fixed base, jigsaw, clamps.

If you are a sketchup user and you open my file.... I'm sorry :)
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: skp Bedside_Table.skp (134.7 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by Jordan_SD; 06-14-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 AM

View CrossWood's Photo Album My Photos
You could make your shelf and drawer slides out of wood that is angled at a 45 like the picture. I would use at least 2 slides for the drawer for functionality but you could use more for aesthetic purposes. The slides are just 5/8" square that protrude past the front of the drawer about 3/4" and are set in the legs in notches cut by a v-groove but on the router.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130614_094055.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  17.6 KB

Sent from my Android
post #3 of 12 Old 06-14-2013, 09:51 AM

Here's some more views, this will definitely give you some Asian styling if you can incorporate it somehow.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130614_094827.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  37.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130614_094935.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  49.4 KB

Sent from my Android
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-14-2013, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, cool idea. I found another idea that I like as well. The question is can this be build with a jigsaw, circular saw and router? I'm sure the legs were cut with a band saw to get the curved edge but that is a tool that I don't have. Also it looks like the cross supports on the bottom and top are basically set into a dato so I think that could be done with a router and clamping a fence down on the stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nightstand4.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	73366  

post #5 of 12 Old 06-14-2013, 12:12 PM

Yeah, hard to mill those slides I posted without a tablesaw. I think you could pull your idea off with the tools you have. Do you have a good straight edge you can ride your circular saw on?

Sent from my Android
post #6 of 12 Old 06-14-2013, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossWood View Post
Do you have a good straight edge you can ride your circular saw on?
Right now no, but I will get one before I start this project. I saw something called a cutting guide that looks like it would work perfect, basically an extendable straight edge that you can just clamp into place.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-14-2013, 12:24 PM

Yeah, there are tons of products out there. A 4 ft level and clamps will even do.

Sent from my Android
post #8 of 12 Old 06-14-2013, 12:26 PM

View SebringDon's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan_SD View Post
Right now no, but I will get one before I start this project. I saw something called a cutting guide that looks like it would work perfect, basically an extendable straight edge that you can just clamp into place.
You can make your own really cheap. Here's one example, but there are many others out there. I also built a crosscut box to use with my circular saw, and it works great.

Between the two, you can greatly reduce the reliance on a table saw.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-14-2013, 12:42 PM

Wow, nice little system!!!

Sent from my Android
post #10 of 12 Old 06-14-2013, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Very cool. I have been really worried about getting straight and accurate cuts without a table saw but I think the first order of business now is to build a system like this!
post #11 of 12 Old 07-02-2013, 12:12 AM

View douglass's Photo Album My Photos
S-Don has a great way to make straight cuts with a circ saw. If you're going to be making furniture, you're going to want more than just eyeballing a circ saw.

Also. If you want a cheap router table, find yourself an old counter top. The slippery/ hard surface works great for router tables. I thought I read that you do carpentry. You can usually pick up a freebie at any kitchen remodel. A few buck in hardware and you're in business.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-18-2013, 04:50 PM

View adamsputnik's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebringDon View Post
You can make your own really cheap. Here's one example, but there are many others out there. I also built a crosscut box to use with my circular saw, and it works great.

Between the two, you can greatly reduce the reliance on a table saw.
Don,

your sled here was the inspiration for a similar one I am putting together at the moment. It's not quite as large, but I think it will serve a very similar purpose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode