Woodworking Talk banner

Advice on Hardware for Lazy Susan Corner Cab

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  FrankC 
#1 ·
I'm working on designing and building my first corner base cabinet with two lazy susans. They are 32" in diameter and I am soliciting opinions on the best hardware for these. Also, any comments on my design are sincerely welcome, as I've never built anything like this before. I don't see much online in the way of design examples, so I'm kind of winging it here.:wallbash:

Cheers!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
i was never a fan of the lazy susan corner cabinets, hidden corners that trap stuff falling off shelves
until... i bought this type for my kitchen, basic kraftmaid cabinet from home depot
it came as a round box, depended on adjoining cabinets for support

this is from the kraftmaid site, lazy susan is 36" diameter, doors are double hinged, hung on one stile
full 3/4 round shelf top, mid and bottom, they don't show the back side on the site
i'll be honest, i didn't think it would hold up, that was 21 years ago

the back and sides of the cabinet didn't exist, no toe kick either (not this style door either)
just a 3/4 round box on legs with door frame

similar to this design, not the doors or the extra stile on left side

#4 ·
i was never a fan of the lazy susan corner cabinets, hidden corners that trap stuff falling off shelves

I have been hesitant about the lazy susan format for the same reason . . . stuff falling off and being lost. I will build a "fence" around the edge of each shelf to help prevent that from happening. I also plan to store larger pots and items less likely to fall into the abyss. I'm leaning to not having a central pole as that limits the capabilities and capacities of the shelf itself. My version will provide full access for items across the center of each shelf.

I'm curious about the actual hardware under each of the two round shelves and whether folks have had any experience with types, brands or even dimensions of the hardware that will hold the shelves and let them turn long-term.

#5 ·
Have no idea how it will work out, but this is what we are going with in our new cabinets:
https://www.amazon.com/VADANIA-Kitc...363641&sprefix=corner+cabinet,aps,208&sr=8-14

I recently took a trip down to San Diego and stayed in a very nice AirBNB that employed this corner cabinet. I was disappointed in the movement of the shelves and, once it was out, I noticed a pile of items shoved into the very back corner of the cabinet that had fallen off the shelves at some point. That is my biggest fear with any of these systems.

Last thing I want is to disassemble something to fish out stuff from the very back corner of the cabinet. These damn base cabinet corners are a bugger!

I'm interested to find out what's back in the recesses of my current blind-corner cabinet when I demo it :vs_laugh:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.