Adirondack chair question - for a big chair - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 05-14-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

View RodD's Photo Album My Photos
Question Adirondack chair question - for a big chair

Hello,

I'm a brand new member here, still a beginner at woodworking but I have a few projects under my belt.

I've seen literally dozens of plans for adirondack chairs out there. I'd like to build one for a good friend of mine, and I'm having trouble picking a good plan.

More importantly, does anyone know what height (for a person) standard adirondack chairs are designed for? The reason I'm asking is because the friend I'm building the chair for is 7'2". He's never had any furniture that really "fit" him, and I'm trying to figure out how to adjust measurements to build a chair custom-fit for him.

Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

- Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-14-2011, 05:38 PM

View jredburn's Photo Album My Photos
Adirondack chair question - for a big chair

Rod
The Architects Digest in the local Library usually has a detailed set of drawings for just about everything you can think of. There are instructions for sizing furniture for large and small people.
My copy is buried someplace in storage and would take a week to find.
Regards
Joe
post #3 of 5 Old 05-15-2011, 09:09 PM

View Doug21470's Photo Album My Photos
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...table-seating/

This is a link to Wood Magazine. It shows a chart with the standard ranges of measuremet for people to be comfortable while seated. I've followed a simular chart for myself and adirondack chairs and I'm 6'4", so for someone 7'2" just increase the height of the chair a few inchs but also don't get the seat too high, adirondack chairs are comfortable partly because they're low and your able to kick your feet out and relax. Hope the info helps, good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-15-2011, 09:12 PM

View Doug21470's Photo Album My Photos
post #5 of 5 Old 05-17-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

View RodD's Photo Album My Photos
Joe and Doug, thank you so much for the replies, definitely good info. I hadn't heard of the Architect's Digest before, I'll see if my local library has it.

Those diagrams and the article look like they'll help, too. I'm thinking about two possible approaches. First, I could add a few inches to the measurements in the "tall" diagram, but that just seems risky because it could throw off angles and ratios.

Second, and the approach I think I like better, is following the article which said the average height is 5'10" (or 70"). My friend is 7'2", or 86". That equates to a 23% increase over average. I think the math might come out better if I just say 25%.

So I'm thinking about finding a good plan, and just increasing all of the measurements by 25%. I may not be able to play around that much with board width, so I may have to do something like add some extra seat and/or back slats.

On a side note, I can find dozens of plans for these chairs. Any recommendations?

Thanks again!

Tags
design adirondack chair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode