Adding Stacked Cabinets to Existing Frameless Cabinets - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 11-02-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

View D.S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Adding Stacked Cabinets to Existing Frameless Cabinets

We would like to add stacked cabinets on top of our existing frameless cabinets, but the cabinet maker I'm working with says they would look like an after thought because it would be very difficult to get the trim/side panels lined up properly. There is no way to put continuous trim panels up without disassembling the entire kitchen and we don't want to do that. We plan to paint all the cabinets. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-02-2017, 10:35 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Any pictures of existing?

George
post #3 of 12 Old 11-02-2017, 10:57 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Pictures would help. A lot of times you can alter the design a little and put trim over where the seam is to make it look like it's always been that way. Sometimes the exposed end of a cabinet is a 1/4" piece of plywood added over the actual end panel. You just tear off the 1/4" plywood and run a full length piece there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-02-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Yes, here is one. You can see the trim/side panels along the wall ovens. We have the same next to the refrigerator and some other cabinets.
Attached Images

post #5 of 12 Old 11-02-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Steve, I like the trim idea. I'll run that by my cabinet guy.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-02-2017, 12:39 PM

Yea, seeing the picture I would just remove the trim at the top of the cabinets and put chair rail molding in it's place.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-02-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.S. View Post
Yes, here is one. You can see the trim/side panels along the wall ovens. We have the same next to the refrigerator and some other cabinets.
From scale of picture cannot tell much. But question is, do you want to stack on top of the top cabinet? Do you have NBA player in your kitchen or do you want a ladder like in library stack?

George
post #8 of 12 Old 11-02-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Ha! Ha! George, no basketball players. I want to get my cabinet line over this window so that it looks right and to be able to add a larger crown molding. I guess the other option is to add a very tall trim to get the crown above the window, but not sure how that would look. Thoughts?
Attached Images

post #9 of 12 Old 11-02-2017, 05:44 PM

Get your wife to thinking about this. I would add some type of decoration,, not cabinets.

George
post #10 of 12 Old 11-02-2017, 06:41 PM

I can see going to the furrdown with cabinets. Everybody has stuff they only use once in a blue moon and the extra cabinet space is a good way to get rid of it without putting it in the attic.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-02-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

George, I AM the wife! :D I really don't want to get up there to dust decorations. And Steve, yes! If I don't add glass doors, the cabinets could store a lot of things.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-03-2017, 02:09 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I can see going to the furrdown with cabinets. Everybody has stuff they only use once in a blue moon and the extra cabinet space is a good way to get rid of it without putting it in the attic.
Ditto for us. We use the upper cabinets to hold the serving platters and other special kitchen and dining items we use for large family gatherings on holidays and for special family events. I stand on a chair to get them down and put them back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode