10ft Maple Conference Table Question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mdntrdr
  • 1 Post By TimPa

post #1 of 13 Old 09-13-2016, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

View jkanter's Photo Album My Photos
Question 10ft Maple Conference Table Question

This is my first post and I'm really excited to be here!

I am about to start a project to build a conference table for my new office. It will be 10' x 3.5' using Maple wood. I plan to use 7 2x6 pieces and 1 2x4 to get the desired width(assuming appx 1/2" lost from squaring off all edges). I will be joining these using a biscuit cutter, wood glue and clamps as would be expected for a project like this. I've included pictures of tables that I'm looking to style mine after. The legs will be industrial style, metal box legs.

I'm wondering if I should be worried at all about support for this table. Do I need more than 2 legs? The wood should be strong enough but I don't know if we need any support in the middle. Since these will be joined together, is this something I should be worried about? I could always buy another leg and put it in the middle as support but I would prefer not too.

I also considered routing a channel in the across the width in the middle of the table and securing a steel rod into that channel as support but I don't know if this is something that's even remotely smart to do.

So...should I be worried about bowing or breaking for a table of that length? Thanks so much everyone and I'm excited to be here more often!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-13-2016, 12:06 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
If the legs are positioned correctly, It would be fine.

If you wanted to be certain, you could run a couple angle iron from leg to leg.

P.S. Loose the biscuits. They are not needed, and will actually weaken the joint in my opinion.
jkanter likes this.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video

Last edited by mdntrdr; 09-13-2016 at 12:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mdntrdr For This Useful Post:
jkanter (09-13-2016)
post #3 of 13 Old 09-13-2016, 12:12 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
if you are using 8/4 maple as you described, I don not believe you will need any additional support. it would support the weight of all who attends the meeting...

what needs attention in my mind is the installation method of that style of leg, minus any angled support brackets. I suspect that there is a considerably sized plate welded to the top of the leg to screw to the table? and remember to allow the top to expand and contract by slotting the screw holes.
jkanter likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to TimPa For This Useful Post:
jkanter (09-13-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-13-2016, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

View jkanter's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
if you are using 8/4 maple as you described, I don not believe you will need any additional support. it would support the weight of all who attends the meeting...

what needs attention in my mind is the installation method of that style of leg, minus any angled support brackets. I suspect that there is a considerably sized plate welded to the top of the leg to screw to the table? and remember to allow the top to expand and contract by slotting the screw holes.
Correct, there would be a plate welded to the top. I am currently looking at these legs that come with the hole cutouts. Slotting the screws is a great suggestion though!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2941138...shape-set-of-2

Probably going 28h x 28w
post #5 of 13 Old 09-21-2016, 02:08 PM

View czabel's Photo Album My Photos
This is surprisingly similar to my next project: 8ft dining room table made of 12/4 walnut.

Are you worried about cupping/warping at all over the life of the table? That's my main concern, and I'm not sure what the best way to avoid that sort of thing from happening.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-21-2016, 02:24 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It would take quite a while but at 10' length the top will eventually sag in the middle. You might weld a piece of 3" angle iron in the center to give it some support.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-21-2016, 05:31 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdntrdr View Post

P.S. Loose the biscuits. They are not needed, and will actually weaken the joint in my opinion.

I would not use biscuits either for this, but even though the top is thick, I would use a blind spline on the joints for the top. I would use a 1/4" thick X 1" wide plywood spline between the joints. It will add tremendous strength to the joints and help with alignment of 10' boards on glue-up.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #8 of 13 Old 09-21-2016, 06:19 PM
Scotty D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
I would not use biscuits either for this, but even though the top is thick, I would use a blind spline on the joints for the top. I would use a 1/4" thick X 1" wide plywood spline between the joints. It will add tremendous strength to the joints and help with alignment of 10' boards on glue-up.

How would a flimsy ass 1/4" plywood spline add any strength to that joint?

With today's modern glues, and proper stock preparation, nothing else is needed.

If you need help in aligning your joints, then an actual hardwood spline would be one option, although T&G would be much easier and faster...

Scott

"Like" us on facebook
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #9 of 13 Old 09-21-2016, 07:05 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

With today's modern glues, and proper stock preparation, nothing else is needed.

If you need help in aligning your joints, then an actual hardwood spline would be one option, although T&G would be much easier and faster...
The biscuits are wood which the glue would bond to across the joint. They may not add a great deal of strength to the joint but would add some. I agree a spline would be better as well as dowels but as thick as the top is if the wood is jointed well I don't see it ever coming apart. Actually if equipped putting threaded rods through the top would be the best.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-21-2016, 07:28 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
a proper spline ...

The spline should be made of hardwood, not plywood AND the grain should be perpendicular to the length of the slot or cross grain. This is the strongest method using splines, BUT most woodworkers don't choose this method because it's not easy to make long lengths of cross grain material.
I have mixed opinions on biscuits having used them on rare occasions with some alignment issues after the fact.
I had to pull them out after gluing up and it was a mess.
Anything you glue, should always be dry fitted be
forehand.
I have used dowels on door frame construction after the mortise and tenon joints have been glued and set up.
For a long joint like a table top, I would use a half-lap which is really 2 rabbets opposing each other. This increases the surface area of the glue joint which adds strength and IF done correctly will help in alignment. There are "glue joint" router and shaper cutters for specific material thicknesses as well, BUT they are tricky to set up and the thickness must be exactly the same on all the boards.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #11 of 13 Old 09-21-2016, 08:18 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Smile

Quote:

The good plywood spline is stronger than hardwood of the same dimension.
Before you criticize, you should run your own test and see the results. I think you will be surprised.
As for the T & G being faster and easier; I don't think so. Remember this is 2" stock for the table top. On a 10' piece, I can router a 9' blind spline with a spline cutter in about 1 minute per side.
Aids assembly for glue-up.
Many methods. We'll never agree on everything.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #12 of 13 Old 09-21-2016, 08:32 PM
Scotty D

Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
We'll never agree on everything.

Scott

"Like" us on facebook
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #13 of 13 Old 09-21-2016, 11:20 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
If the legs are positioned correctly, It would be fine.

If you wanted to be certain, you could run a couple angle iron from leg to leg.

If he's worried about alignment I would use them. No need to apply glue to them. They aren't going to weaken the joint. The glue joint on 8/4 is going to be more then enough to last a lifetime.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com

Tags
maple, question, support, table

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode