Zinsser Bin primer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 06-04-2020, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

View RNrunner's Photo Album My Photos
Zinsser Bin primer

I recently bought the spray version of the Zinsser Bin shellac primer for my tv stand that I'm planning to paint the base/legs white. I applied one coat of the spray so far and it seemed to go on fairly well but made a big mess and was hard to keep everything covered to avoid overspray. I was thinking of trying the brush on version but not sure how that would be to apply? Any tips/advice on using the spray version as well as the brush on.....types of brushes, application techniques, sanding, etc... Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-18-2020, 08:42 PM

View Melinda's Photo Album My Photos
Using BIN primer

This stuff is terrific if you have a problem surface to paint. I have painted formica, glass, wallpaper in my kitchen with grease stains, etc. It brushes on like water and you can see thru it, but it really works well.

I primed my kitchen wallpaper (a dark blue paisley print) with BIN and then used a light yellow paint. Worked great, no grease bleed thru, no paisley show thru.

Use in a WELL ventilated area. High VOC.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-18-2020, 09:55 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Shellac based primers dry so fast, it's hard to avoid brush strokes when you use a brush. I use a foam "hot dog" roller with good results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-11-2020, 06:40 PM

View B Coll's Photo Album My Photos
One of the best advantages of BIN is sanding. BIN sands easily to a very fine white powder. Makes good results almost fool proof.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-11-2020, 08:06 PM

View yomanbill's Photo Album My Photos
BIN is a great product and is my goto primer. However, it is very difficult to brush on evenly. Luckily, it doesn't matter. Just brush it on as evenly as you can get it and don't worry about the places than look thinner than others. Sand it lightly with 220 grit, trying not to sand through, and then put on your final finish.
The spray cans are very convenient for small areas but, the spray nozzels are not very good and they send out more of a broad stream rather than a fine spray. Spray from a greater distance than normal and you will be OK.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-11-2020, 08:20 PM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
I try to have a couple of spray cans on hand. Great for repairs and sealing stain, for smaller areas just mask that area off. If it is large area as a finish coat I would opt for the brush on stuff, but I don't use that as much.
Example: We where redoing the kitchen cabinets 50 year old oak, all brought into the basement, washed any grease off, lightly sanded them, stained them, sprayed the shellac to seal the satin, 20 minutes later applied wipe on poly, they where installed the next day, they looked like new.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-12-2020, 10:19 AM

View Echo415's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNrunner View Post
I recently bought the spray version of the Zinsser Bin shellac primer for my tv stand that I'm planning to paint the base/legs white. I applied one coat of the spray so far and it seemed to go on fairly well but made a big mess and was hard to keep everything covered to avoid overspray. I was thinking of trying the brush on version but not sure how that would be to apply? Any tips/advice on using the spray version as well as the brush on.....types of brushes, application techniques, sanding, etc... Thanks!
What do you need to cover to avoid overspray? I'd say just run to your local HF/discount outlet and pick up a 7x9 tarp and spray it out in the yard or driveway.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-16-2020, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

I don't have an area that is good for spraying without making a mess. I tried the spray primer again and still can't seem to get it right. I am going to go back to the brush on since at least I have more control of where the primer goes!
post #9 of 9 Old 07-16-2020, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

I agree the spray can is not good for smaller areas. I decided to return the spray and try the brush on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode