Wood prices, any good? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 05-31-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

View Dopalgangr's Photo Album My Photos
Wood prices, any good?

All, I'm looking to buy some lumber from a lumber mill that is having a sale this weekend in Northern Virginia. I have never priced lumber from a mill so I dont know if these are good prices or not. I realize not everything is priced but from the ad I assume it falls in the range at the beginning of the list. Could someone please give me their opinion? Thanks.

Rough cut lumber list (air dried)
Best prices and working great deals
Construction logs

Boards .75 to $3 a bf

Ash 5/4 8ft 12% mc
Cedar 4x4s and 6x6s $3bf
Black Walnut 5/4. 8ft and 12ft lengths
Persimmion 5/4 8ft 13%mc
Ambrosia Maple 5/4 12%mc
Quartersawn Black Oak 5/4 8/4 13%mc
Quartersawn White Oak 5/4 8/4
Cherry 8/4 5/4 10%mc
Oak 5/4

Slabs 2.00-5.00 a bf

Maple 8ft 24 inches wide 11%mc
Poplar 8ft 24 inches wide 11%mc
Black Walnut 8ft straight & crotch pieces 11%
Ash 22 inches wide 8ft 12%mc
Royal Pulonia 8ft 18 inches 9%mc
Hickory 8ft 22inches wide 13%mc
Choke cherry slabs 7ft 10%mc
Cedar slabs 8 &10ft 10%mc
Osage Orange 25 inches wide 8ft 11%
Cypress 24 inches wide 12/4 8ft 12%mc
eucalyptus crotch pieces 8ft

20 Kinds of wood boards beams blanks slabs custom cuts live edge up to 34 inches
Live edge slabs table slabs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-31-2012, 08:48 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Prices for various species of wood vary across the country by region.

You need to compare those prices to others selling those same woods in the same area area. Of course if you are interested in having wood shipped in you can go to online sources and get their prices.

George
post #3 of 16 Old 05-31-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks George just wondering is the moisture content posted normal for these types of woods and could I immediately use them or would they need to dry more? BTW, I guess I should have posted this in the general area. I'm doing it on my Ipad and still trying to get used to the navigation of the forum, sorry.

Last edited by Dopalgangr; 05-31-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-01-2012, 08:57 AM

View Deanr's Photo Album My Photos
It depends on what and where you plan to use the wood.
If you are going to make finished furniture/cabinets for interior then I think you should plan on drying the wood to the 8% range.
Also figure in the cost to plane if you don't do it yourself.
I think the quality/width of wood available will be a determing factor whether their prices are good. If they have nice wide slabs without alot of defects and you have a means to dry it further then I think their prices are good. If further drying is not an option then I'm not sure you will be happy with the results.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-01-2012, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

hmm, thanks Dean. I need something to make a bookshelf for the wife, the rest of the stuff I was going to buy different varieties just to play around with. I made a wine rack out of red oak that I purchased from HD and I found that the wood splintered easily even though I was using new bits and blades. I don't know if it was me doing something wrong or that its the nature of the hard wood. So I was thinking of using a different more forgiving wood for the bookshelf build, any suggestions?
post #6 of 16 Old 06-01-2012, 11:57 AM

First the bookshelf. I would not use all solid hardwood for the bookcase.
I made several 2 years ago from a combination plywood and hardwood and they turned out pretty good and not too complicated. I used both red oak plywood and hardwood for the face similar to a face frame on a cabinet. I think I made it 30" wide and 60" tall and I used 1 sheet of plywood for the sides, top and 4 shelves. (not sure on exact dimensions because I am at work.) I then made a face frame similar to kitchen cabinet construction. I don't think you want to go much wider than 30" without support on the shelves.
I don't think the splintering is from the wood but maybe your blades, bits and technique. Are you using carbide blades and how many teeth per inch. Sometimes the feed rate needs to be slowed down. Also applying tape to the surface being cut can help. Maybe you have addressed all these.
The wood from Home Depot is usually very good quality but they are awfully proud of it.
I would look for a local source that sells kiln dried hardwood. I have bought from a small retailer and also from a cabinet shop and have been somewhat happy with what I got.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deanr For This Useful Post:
Dopalgangr (06-01-2012)
post #7 of 16 Old 06-01-2012, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Good tips, thanks. I am using carbide tips but I dont recall the tooth count offhand, I am work but will check tonight when I get home. If you have time could you post a pic of your bookcase? I think she wants a half-height (30"-40") with maybe two to three full length shelves. Unsure of the width.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-02-2012, 10:14 PM

View Fsucraigk's Photo Album My Photos
There are a couple of sawyers in the Northern VA area that I have shipped at. The AD posting looks like its from Craigslist. For the area the prices look pretty reasonable. If you're looking for kiln dried wood check out 'Maryland Select Hardwoods' on wood finder or jut google it. If you don't mind letting wood sit for a while buy some from the Craigslist posting, also anther option for NOVA is 'ecofriendlylumber' dot com. All his stuff is air dried as well, so be prepared to let it sit for a good while.. There's also a few places in Maryland around Rockville and Annapolis that I've heard good things but never shopped personally..
The Following User Says Thank You to Fsucraigk For This Useful Post:
Grunenteufel (07-29-2013)
post #9 of 16 Old 06-02-2012, 10:40 PM

View WillemJM's Photo Album My Photos
For Northern VA, those prices are excellent, you will pay twice, or even more retail.

What's important though is the grade of the lumber. Best is to go look and if it's good buy as much as you can afford.

Typically, in that area, lumber stored in a barn, or where there is no conditioning, will be around 11% moisture content, even if it was kiln dried.

Pure mathematics is, in it's way, the poetry of logical ideas. - Albert Einstein.

Last edited by WillemJM; 06-02-2012 at 10:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to WillemJM For This Useful Post:
Dopalgangr (06-03-2012)
post #10 of 16 Old 06-03-2012, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsucraigk View Post
There are a couple of sawyers in the Northern VA area that I have shipped at. The AD posting looks like its from Craigslist. For the area the prices look pretty reasonable. If you're looking for kiln dried wood check out 'Maryland Select Hardwoods' on wood finder or jut google it. If you don't mind letting wood sit for a while buy some from the Craigslist posting, also anther option for NOVA is 'ecofriendlylumber' dot com. All his stuff is air dried as well, so be prepared to let it sit for a good while.. There's also a few places in Maryland around Rockville and Annapolis that I've heard good things but never shopped personally..
Thanks, it actually was from Craiglist and from PA, I thought it was ecofriendlylumber but was wrong.

Last edited by Dopalgangr; 06-04-2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: change
post #11 of 16 Old 06-03-2012, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Well, I held off and went with another Craigslist post. I got everything you see in the pictures for $40. It was sitting in a barn for about 50 years. Its mostly Cherry and Walnut and very dirty, I ran a couple pieces through my joiner and planer and it seem to plane easily. Nice color too. The cedar planks he through in for me to make some bird houses with the kids. What do you think, did I get a good deal or taken to the wood shed?

post #12 of 16 Old 06-04-2012, 01:16 PM

I think that looks like a good find.
I finally got some pictures of the bookcase and hopefully figured out posting it. Sorry but it is well used with my son's books.

Last edited by Deanr; 06-07-2012 at 01:50 PM.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-04-2012, 01:33 PM

View gideon's Photo Album My Photos
$40 bucks, not bad. Without seeing the material from the other supplier and without grading, its hard to tell.

Common stock walnut I can get in the $3 pbf price range, FAS at $5.50 pbf.

But this material is dried and ready to use. At 11-12-13%, that material has a way to go before it can be used.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-04-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gideon View Post
$40 bucks, not bad. Without seeing the material from the other supplier and without grading, its hard to tell.

Common stock walnut I can get in the $3 pbf price range, FAS at $5.50 pbf.

But this material is dried and ready to use. At 11-12-13%, that material has a way to go before it can be used.
Not much chance getting air dried lumber below 11-12%, unless you store it in a conditioned environment. Kiln dried lumber stored in a non-conditioned building will eventually also approach this range.

Pure mathematics is, in it's way, the poetry of logical ideas. - Albert Einstein.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-05-2012, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys. So if kiln dried lumber eventually approaches those moisture ranges anyway if I end up buying some of the non-kiln dried stuff and its at lets say 11%, can I still use it or would it need to be dried more? I'm looking at getting some Orange Osage from him. Also how would you dry it if you didnt have a kiln. I thought that I read somewhere on here that a guy put it in his microwave Dont know if he was pulling someones leg or thats legit. Of course if this works I would be limited to small pieces.

BTW, Dean your picture didn't show.

And I found this handy little site http://www.wood-database.com/wood-identification/

Last edited by Dopalgangr; 06-05-2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: forgot something
post #16 of 16 Old 06-05-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopalgangr View Post
Thanks for the replys. So if kiln dried lumber eventually approaches those moisture ranges anyway if I end up buying some of the non-kiln dried stuff and its at lets say 11%, can I still use it or would it need to be dried more? I'm looking at getting some Orange Osage from him. Also how would you dry it if you didnt have a kiln. I thought that I read somewhere on here that a guy put it in his microwave Dont know if he was pulling someones leg or thats legit. Of course if this works I would be limited to small pieces.

BTW, Dean your picture didn't show.

And I found this handy little site http://www.wood-database.com/wood-identification/
Unless you build something which is designed to allow no wood movement at all (that would be a pretty bad design) working with 12% is OK. I have a two car garage, joined to the house, with about 1,000bf of lumber in it, most was kiln dried when I purchased it and it always measures around 11%. Microwave not a good idea.

If you live off the Gulf coastal areas, the furniture inside your home would be as high as 13%

The Following User Says Thank You to WillemJM For This Useful Post:
Dopalgangr (06-06-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode