Why Not Wipe On Regular Poly? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By epicfail48

post #1 of 6 Old 05-25-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

View TwoRails's Photo Album My Photos
Why Not Wipe On Regular Poly?

I don't really know anything about 'finishing,' other than I can slap on a coat of paint on a shop jig. I'm making a face frame thing and want to put on some satin poly. I've heard about wipe on poly so I figured I'd give it a try... until I discovered the price of it, that is. It was double the price of regular fast drying poly for 1/2 the amount. To me, that makes it four times as expensive.

So why can't I just wipe on the fast drying poly?

PS: This is not a fine furniture thing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-25-2018, 02:32 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Cause it's too thick mostly. Thin it 50/50 with mineral spirits and you've made wipe on poly. Quart of poly and a quart of mineral spirits will run about the same as the wipe on poly and you get more finish
Brian T. likes this.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #3 of 6 Old 05-25-2018, 09:59 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoRails View Post
I don't really know anything about 'finishing,' other than I can slap on a coat of paint on a shop jig. I'm making a face frame thing and want to put on some satin poly. I've heard about wipe on poly so I figured I'd give it a try... until I discovered the price of it, that is. It was double the price of regular fast drying poly for 1/2 the amount. To me, that makes it four times as expensive.

So why can't I just wipe on the fast drying poly?

PS: This is not a fine furniture thing...
You could modify regular polyurethane to be wipe on but not the fast dry. To wipe on a finish you need slow dry. The regular poly dries faster than wipe on. The wipe on has a solvent such as Flood Penetrol in it to slow the drying time down. The wipe on is also thinned a little.

The reason for it is any time you wipe or brush a finish the method you apply the finish with makes grooves or other texture to the finish. If it is a slow drying finish if it stays wet on the surface long enough the grooves or texture will flow together eliminating the application marks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-26-2018, 01:49 PM

View sunnybob's Photo Album My Photos
I make my own wipe on poly and use it a lot.
I buy any gloss OIL BASED poly I can find (water based will not work)
i mix 5 parts poly with 4 parts white spirit or thinners (I normally use a teaspoon for a medium small amount)

I sand to 240 grit usually, 360 on special parts.
You can use a 1/4 of a heavy duty paper towel, or a scrap of clean cotton waste. (lint free).
Use vinyl gloves to save fingerprints.
Wipe on the poly generously, all over. Use another dry piece of cotton waste (old T shirts) to gently wipe off all excess in the same direction as the grain.

Leave it to air dry in a dust free area. I use a large lidded plastic box for mine. Normally 1 day before second coating.
Heat affects drying time. My temps vary from around 40F in winter to well over a 100 in high summer. In 100f even normal poly dries almost immediately. If I have a complicated box to wipe in high summer I have to put the box and the poly in an A/C room overnight cooled down to 75 or 80f.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-26-2018, 01:52 PM

View sunnybob's Photo Album My Photos
My signature does not seem to be showing the links to my boxes, so I've pasted here.
SunnyBob
my projects can be viewed here
http://www.pbase.com/john_cooper/bob...dwork_projects

and here
http://www.pbase.com/john_cooper/bob...s_pergola_extn
post #6 of 6 Old 05-27-2018, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

View TwoRails's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for all the handy tips and info Everyone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode