Woodworking Talk banner

When is finishing necessary?

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  John Smith_inFL 
#1 ·
I'm almost done building a big slot car racing table and I was wondering if finishing the wood (paint, varnish, etc.) is something you should always do or is it a matter of preference? I know that finishing the wood can enhance its appearance but if it's an indoor item that's in an average humidity area, is it something that the wood would benefit from over the long haul or does it really not make much difference and you should just do it if you want it to look a certain way?

#2 · (Edited)
slot car tracks and train tracks on a sheet of plywood never last
more than a year or two. then it is disassembled and put away
for the next generation. so don't put something on the wood that
may inhibit it from being used in future projects where the coating
would not be compatible with the next project.

is this the same wood that you recently posted about the nail holes ??

#3 ·
Yes. This is the same table from my previous post. In this case I can’t use the reasoning that it will only last a year or two to help me decide. This is a retirement project that I’ve been looking forward to for a long time and I’m getting an early start on it...before I retire. I plan on making this a long term project by taking my time to build scenery, add buildings, people, etc.

#4 ·
if you are going into this with ambition and a purpose, I would prime
and paint it accordingly to be able to take graphics, different adhesives, etc
for landscaping. sounds like a fun project.
please post some photos as you go along and share your journey with us.
are you going to have a "theme" track or something basic.
there are probably forums for this hobby that can put you with like-minded enthusiasts.

Scale model Transport Sport venue Race track Stadium

#8 ·
for an inside project built with plywood, and the ply is securely fastened
to the frame, IMO, it will be very okay.
for an outside project where moisture is a a factor, it is a really good idea
to seal all sides. it's a Race Track - not a piece of furniture.
build it and have fun !!!

#10 ·
OMG, Slot Cars! That was a big thing around the time that we got married 55 years this August.
We did that a lot before and after we got married in Volusia and Palm Beach counties.

Experience says finish it using a latex either eggshell or flat. That type of paint will give the most traction to the cars. I've seen the tracks that were done in gloss or High Pressure Laminate. The cars would slip and slide all over the place and the racing just wasn't fun.
(HPL is Nevamar or Formica)

And of course, without pictures it didn't happen.

#11 ·
John asked if I could post some pictures of my project. I've been taking quite a few and have been posting them to Facebook. What's the best way to post them here so people, especially those who have commented on this post, can see them? I saw a feature where you can create an album. Is that the best way or should I just somehow add them to this post?

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.