Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Wood Finishing (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f8/)
-   -   what to use for salt and pepper shaker? (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f8/what-use-salt-pepper-shaker-36295/)

SodFather 02-27-2012 03:30 PM

what to use for salt and pepper shaker?
 
One of my clients I do work for was talking to me the other day about woodworking since she knows I dabble in it and I had mentioned I had gotten a lathe recently and I was playing around with it lately. She then returned from her garage and handed me a nice old dry chunk of walnut and said she's to old to do anything with it, so she wanted me to have it. I gladly accepted it and started thinking of what to do with it, it's not too big(around 3x3x10 in). She loves cooking and I thought I would make her a set of shakers as a thank u for the wood and continued use of my company. Im just not sure on what is safe to be in contact with the salt and pepper on the inside or should I just leave it bare?

thanks for any help

chemmy 02-27-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SodFather (Post 308860)
One of my clients I do work for was talking to me the other day about woodworking since she knows I dabble in it and I had mentioned I had gotten a lathe recently and I was playing around with it lately. She then returned from her garage and handed me a nice old dry chunk of walnut and said she's to old to do anything with it, so she wanted me to have it. I gladly accepted it and started thinking of what to do with it, it's not too big(around 3x3x10 in). She loves cooking and I thought I would make her a set of shakers as a thank u for the wood and continued use of my company. Im just not sure on what is safe to be in contact with the salt and pepper on the inside or should I just leave it bare?

thanks for any help

Acrylic would be agood choice though really not necessary.ok?

firehawkmph 02-27-2012 10:49 PM

Chemmy,
just coat the inside with any kind of finish that dries hard. Lacquer, varnish, polyurethane, etc. Once it dries and doesn't smell anymore, it's safe for food contact. There is a product called 'salad bowl finish'. It's basically thinned out varnish. If you use an aerosol product, you can shoot it right down the bore and soak it in. If you have a canned product, just take an old white tube sock, wet the middle and pull it through a few times till the inside is coated.
Mike Hawkins;)

chemmy 02-28-2012 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firehawkmph (Post 309090)
Chemmy,
just coat the inside with any kind of finish that dries hard. Lacquer, varnish, polyurethane, etc. Once it dries and doesn't smell anymore, it's safe for food contact. There is a product called 'salad bowl finish'. It's basically thinned out varnish. If you use an aerosol product, you can shoot it right down the bore and soak it in. If you have a canned product, just take an old white tube sock, wet the middle and pull it through a few times till the inside is coated.
Mike Hawkins;)

Thanks Fire, but if he buys ceramic grinding mechanisms and the salt especialy is of the sea salt big chunk kind, i really dont think there will be a need, but your correct as to any finish once dry and cured will work, Behlens salad bowl finish is good to like you say but any clear will do if necessary i mentioned acrylic because of my salt and pepper grinders being made from them, after 6 years they still look brand new, so i know that will work lol. still dont think he will need it though, i will leave it for him to choose from what we or others say, lol. i dont think the walnut will add anything to or take away from the salt and i have no worries about the pepper. but if there is a wood technician he can fill us in as to any concerns to leaving it bare healthwise.

SodFather 02-28-2012 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chemmy

Thanks Fire, but if he buys ceramic grinding mechanisms and the salt especialy is of the sea salt big chunk kind, i really dont think there will be a need, but your correct as to any finish once dry and cured will work, Behlens salad bowl finish is good to like you say but any clear will do if necessary i mentioned acrylic because of my salt and pepper grinders being made from them, after 6 years they still look brand new, so i know that will work lol. still dont think he will need it though, i will leave it for him to choose from what we or others say, lol. i dont think the walnut will add anything to or take away from the salt and i have no worries about the pepper. but if there is a wood technician he can fill us in as to any concerns to leaving it bare healthwise.

Thanks for the replies guys, but with size of wood I was really just thinking a basic shaker set with just holes in top of them for salt/pepper to go thru. Although I'm sure tips apply either way I go.

Thanks again

Beechnut45 08-21-2013 10:30 AM

Salt and Pepper Shakers
 
I am wanting to pursue a salt and pepper shaker for a local resturant. I know there are requirements for the FDA, so does anyone have any suggestions on what to use on the inside of the shakers so that the ingredient will not touch the wood, and where can I purchase these at or get some made to my specifications?

Steve Neul 08-21-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beechnut45 (Post 510871)
I am wanting to pursue a salt and pepper shaker for a local resturant. I know there are requirements for the FDA, so does anyone have any suggestions on what to use on the inside of the shakers so that the ingredient will not touch the wood, and where can I purchase these at or get some made to my specifications?

I don't think it's necessary to put anything on the inside, that the raw wood is good enough but if your intent on putting something inside you might look into inserting a bought shaker into a piece of wood. Another option is any modern finish is food safe so you might just pour some finish inside of the shaker and pour out what will and let it dry for a month. Even an oil based polyurethane would cure in a month. You must also keep in mind that there is a type of paint and varnish remover that is essentially a salt so I'm not sure how long a finish would hold up to the salt. You might have to use a conversion varnish on the inside which is expensive.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome