What are the Proper Painting Techniques? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 05-06-2011, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

View slick225's Photo Album My Photos
What are the Proper Painting Techniques?

The one thing about woodworking I've not come to enjoy is the finishing, weather its staining or painting, this is the least fun to me of the intire process, but I know it b/c I lack the experience, so I'm turning to the forum for help.

I just completed a custom dresser for my sons room, and from the beginning I was decided they would be painted instead of stained.

I decided to spray them using a Ryobi speed sprayer (seen at the following website: http://www.priceviewer.com/Home-Depo...-Speed-Sprayer-) instead of hand painting or rolling. The main reason for this decision was b/c I added molding to all the drawer fronts and to the sides and I couldn't roll it, and brushing it left brush lines.

I thinned my paint (Valspar from lowes - which according to lowes doesn't require a primer), my thinning ration was 1 pint of water per 1 gallon, I only mixed up 1/2 a gallon so I only used 1/2 a pint of water. I sprayed the dresser but it still feels a bit gritty, do I need to sand it and apply another coating or did I need to do something before applying the first coat?

Would applying a primer first have helped?

Whats the proper technique for painting furniture?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know anything about that spraygun. You may have gotten some dust on the finish. Spraying outside has that possibility. If the gun sprayed OK and laid out a smooth coat, just lightly sand with 320x and recoat. If the application seemed hard to spray, the mix may need to be thinned a bit more. Practice on some cardboard.

post #3 of 4 Old 05-06-2011, 11:54 AM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Could it be that the first coat you put on "raised the grain" because you're using water based paint?

If so, you might have been able to fake it out by spraying it down with water before proceeding to paint. This would have raised the grain and you'd give it a light sanding to get rid of the roughness before going on to applying paint.

Try giving it a light sanding, thoroughly clean all the dust away, then give it another coat. If my theory is correct, this should stay smooth.

HTH

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
When spraying its pretty important to blow the pce off with an air gun whilst prepping.Think about it........if you're just tackin it off as soon as you pull the trigger on gun it blows dust up out of cracks N crevices and just makes a big mess.Also,we usually try to spray early in the am before any other work gets started.....airbourne dust and all that.BW

PS and that needs to be "dry" air you use for prep.Any moisture in the lines is gonna play heck with "just" about any finish.

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode