What is the best product for finishing Wooden Garden Gates: Sikken, Flood, Decade,... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 12-21-2011, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

View metta's Photo Album My Photos
Question What is the best product for finishing Wooden Garden Gates: Sikken, Flood, Decade,...

I'm doing some research to determine what product will help protect my new wooden gates. I have already added the dark burgundy stain to the gates. I just want to put a finish on it to protect the gates and color from sun and water damage for the longest period possible. I live in California.

I have been looking into Sikkens Products http://www.sikkens.us , Flood Products http://www.flood.com and then I also found one online called Decade that says that it lasts 10 years but I don't see any reviews on it yet. It is not cheap but I don't need a lot of it and I would rather pay more and have it last longer than to be cheap about the finish. http://www.50yeardeckpaint.com/deck-ts195.asp

I think that they have another web site here: http://www.topsecretcoatings.com/cst...ory=61#details

I read on another board that Sikkens was good but not as good since they changed their formula to meet California environmental guidelines. I have heard that Flood was good, now owned by Sikkens but have not heard if their current products are good. And I don't know anything about the Decade product other than the manufactures web site. I was wondering if people have any feedback as to the which current product is the best. I would prefer something that lasted for a long time so I don't have to redo it very often.

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Last edited by metta; 12-30-2011 at 02:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-30-2011, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

View metta's Photo Album My Photos
Question Do you have any other suggestions for long lasting outdoor clear finish with uv prote

Well, it does not sound like anyone has used any of the products that I have looked at so far. Do you have any other suggestions for long lasting outdoor clear finish with uv protection?
post #3 of 4 Old 12-30-2011, 02:58 AM

View 3fingers's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry no one wants to reply to ur post. The only product I've used for outdoors that has worked well for me is Waterlox marine finish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-30-2011, 03:15 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by metta View Post
Well, it does not sound like anyone has used any of the products that I have looked at so far. Do you have any other suggestions for long lasting outdoor clear finish with uv protection?
Didn't see your post.
I use Sikkins on log cabins and decks. After 5 years, no complaints and the cabins look as good as the day we finished. The decks suffer some from foot traffic wear, but not from UV or snow and rain.
On a gate, it should last at least as long.

Gene
The Patriot Woodworker

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Last edited by Gene Howe; 12-30-2011 at 03:17 AM.

Tags
decade, flood, sikkens, wood finish, wooden garden gate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode