Walnut Kitchen Table Finishing - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 1 Old 03-08-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

View gillooleyj's Photo Album My Photos
Question Walnut Kitchen Table Finishing

So, I am a newbie and have been reading a lot on different options for finishing and have yet to find a step by step method that lays out what the best way to finish my project. So I am here to ask the question... I have a 18"x52"x2.5" walnut slab that I intend to use for a kitchen table(to eat on, set some warm plates and mugs on, etc.) The prep part I understand and I plan to sand it with a low grain and work my way up to a high grain to get a nice smooth surface and then clean with mineral spirits.
What comes next is what I am unsure of... I think it just needs a nice clear finish, but do not have the space(apartment) or equipment to do a poor on epoxy. I have read into doing a linseed oil finish with a Waterlox sealer but am unsure that it will be enough. In the end I just want the wood to be smooth and protected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	282801  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode