Very dumb mistake... Clear preservative solution over tung oil on child's stool - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave McCann
  • 1 Post By Dave McCann

post #1 of 7 Old 09-24-2020, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

View Sol Klein's Photo Album My Photos
Very dumb mistake... Clear preservative solution over tung oil on child's stool

I'm an idiot. I just tried to put a polyurethane coat on a child's stool over tung oil, but then realized I used the clear preservative solution I used on a garden gate last month instead of polyurethane. Have I completed messed up this project? I'm obviously concerned about toxicity for the kid. Here's the brand of preservative I used: https://weekshomehardware.ca/p/gener...d-preservative

And here's the tung oil, if it helps: https://www.homehardware.ca/en/500ml...results%20page

I've been working on it for months and it's supposed to be my nephew's first birthday present (on Saturday). Can I strip the preservative without stripping the tung oil? Can I just put a coat of poly over the preservative solution? Can I sand the preservative down? I'm worried about the toxicity of the clear preservative solution for the kiddo, but maybe that's not a real concern, especially if I apply poly over it?

Thanks for your help... I feel terrible.

Last edited by Sol Klein; 09-24-2020 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Adding clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-24-2020, 10:01 AM

View Dave McCann's Photo Album My Photos
From the link you provided; "Paintable wood preservative and water repellent for above ground, exterior use only"

This to me, would suggest it is toxic. Best source for info would be the MDS for this product.

As to presenting this for the birthday party Saturday, sure take it along, let everyone see it but explain that you have to take it back home with you to "complete" the finishing. Then do what ever it takes to correct the situation. I suspect the best course of action would be a complete strip and back to square one.

For myself, any covering of a toxic substance would be insufficient protection. I've seen how deep kiddos can chew.
difalkner likes this.

Take care,
Dave McCann
post #3 of 7 Old 09-24-2020, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm in touch with the manufacturer about this. They said they weren't even sure you can really strip it and start over because it's absorbed by the wood, but that doesn't seem right to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-24-2020, 10:25 AM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
speaking of oil, have you looked at the MSDS for your vendorís Tung Oil. Since kiddos may chew on it, its a consideration.

I mention this since I got reprimanded for using Boiled Linseed Oil on a butcher block cutting board.

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's. From the 50's if you count the scrap woodpile on the farm!
post #5 of 7 Old 09-24-2020, 10:26 AM

View Dave McCann's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Klein View Post
Thanks. I'm in touch with the manufacturer about this. They said they weren't even sure you can really strip it and start over because it's absorbed by the wood, but that doesn't seem right to me.
I understand your pain, you feel like an idiot. You are not an idiot, we all make our share of stupid moves. Take the stool along, explain that is only a sample and the child will get a properly finished one. If that means starting an entire rebuild, so be it. Everyone will appreciate both your honesty and the effort you have put into the project.
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Take care,
Dave McCann
post #6 of 7 Old 09-24-2020, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement :) I may or may not have shed a few tears for this stupid stool that's been in process for a year cuz I haven't been able to get back into the woodshop for six months due to... y'know, everything.

I spoke directly to the manufacturer, and they say that if I wait until it dries completely, I can apply polyurethane over top and it should be completely safe. The toxicity is really only when it's still wet, and the polyurethane will give an added layer of safety. So that's gonna be my plan. Thanks so much for your help again!
post #7 of 7 Old 09-24-2020, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
speaking of oil, have you looked at the MSDS for your vendorís Tung Oil. Since kiddos may chew on it, its a consideration.

I mention this since I got reprimanded for using Boiled Linseed Oil on a butcher block cutting board.
Yes, I did confirm that the tung oil is safe for this project (i.e. food-safe even if the kiddo isn't supposed to be eating off it). As far as I can tell, raw linseed oil is also food-safe, it's just the boiled stuff that isn't. Thanks for your concern

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode