Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: People's Republic of Kalifornia
I'm far from an expert at veneer work, but my first attempt was when i restored an old Singer sewing machine for a friend, who was having it done for his Mother. I considered contact4 cement but after doing some ressarch went with hide glue and it worked very well. Everyone who gave me advice on it put emphasis on making sure there is enough weight to ensure a bond that will last. Not having any fancy vacuum press, i mulled over what i could possibly use to put a LOT of weight on it and decided to first distribute weight using some large ceramic (14x14") floor tiles with some hardwood 2x2's i had across them, and a piece of 1/4 plate steel i had which serves as a rifle target on occasion on trips to the desert. lol. Obviously that wasn't enough weight, so i went a bit overboard and jacked up the front of my car, slid the layered sandwich under, and set the front subframe right on top. I figured as long as it didin't slide any, i'd be set. Maybe i got lucky but it worked. It's been about 8 years since i did the job and i was over at my friends family's house for Christmas this past December and the veneer is perfect. Obviously i know there are likely better ways to go about doing this but wanted to share my very unorthodox " MacGyver" method. At least i avoided buying a very expensive vacuum press that i might have used once or twice over a decade.