ultra natural "finish" for vertical grain douglas fir - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 03-05-2011, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

View jjsmitty's Photo Album My Photos
ultra natural "finish" for vertical grain douglas fir

Can anyone offer suggestions for treating interior door/window CVG DF trim or point me to some links, I searched a bit, but did not find a specific answer. I do not want the appearance of any stain, enhanced color or obvious finish. I have tried the following samples:

Varathane IPN clear satin Diamond Finish (sanding between coats with 400)
Minwax water based polycrylic clear satin (sanding between coats)
Watco natural danish oil
Varathane wood conditioner pre-stain.

So far the minwax is my least favorite, the watco brings out too much color. The diamond finish is closest to what I want but still too much of a finished look. I like the look of just the wood conditioner by it's self, but never heard of that being done. I want to experiment with the wood conditioner and maybe a more minimal application of the satin diamond finish, is that ok?. I am trying to replicate some VGDF wainscot that I finished several years ago, but I can't remember what I did...Doh!

Thanks,
JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-06-2011, 01:04 PM

View jack warner's Photo Album My Photos
maybe try multiple coats of shellac then wipe down with 0000 steel wool.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-06-2011, 07:59 PM

View TGRANT's Photo Album My Photos
Hereís a minimal finish thatís reasonably durable unless it gets standing water on it. Mix Ĺ boiled linseed oil and Ĺ turpentine with a few drops of japan drier. The finish dries quickly with an 'in the wood' appearance. You can apply several coats buffing with fine sandpaper or just a piece of burlap. This finish colors the wood very little and brings out the grain a bit, but not too much.

Also agree with Jack. Blond or orange shellac thatís padded on looks good too, though it won't stand up to water or alcohol well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-06-2011, 08:11 PM

View jack warner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGRANT View Post
Hereís a minimal finish thatís reasonably durable unless it gets standing water on it. Mix Ĺ boiled linseed oil and Ĺ turpentine with a few drops of japan drier. The finish dries quickly with an 'in the wood' appearance. You can apply several coats buffing with fine sandpaper or just a piece of burlap. This finish colors the wood very little and brings out the grain a bit, but not too much.

Also agree with Jack. Blond or orange shellac thatís padded on looks good too, though it won't stand up to water or alcohol well.
i just through the shellac out there cuz he wanted no, to little change in the wook. i myself dont use shellac and a finish cuz the reason tgrant stated.
i like the blo-turp-jap dryer. equal parts of glo, turp, and a varnish is basicly a danish oil. you can add less varnish to tone down the sheen. something to ploay with. test on scrap first. here in calif. i dont use the jap dry much, unless im making a home made varnish. i use the jap dry to dry out/harden the pine tar.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
A 50/50 mix of a satin oil base interior varnish and mineral spirits (or VM&P Naptha for a faster dry), wiped on, leaves a natural look.

post #6 of 9 Old 03-08-2011, 06:47 AM

All the posts by Jack and Cabinet Man are all great advice and highlight an important point. Mixtures of linseed oil, oil based varnishes and appropriate thinners in various combinations can be used to make a variety of concoctions that will finish wood and have different effects depending on the proportions. To some extent the proportions arenít all that critical, except that if you use too much thinner you might have some adhesion problems. Mix and match and experiment. The finishes arenít as durable as full strength varnishes or polyurethaneís, but are easy to apply, and relatively forgiving of dust, less than perfect surface preparation, shop temperature and humidity.

Iím not sure if there are water based equivalents since I donít use water based finishes.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-08-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

View jjsmitty's Photo Album My Photos
Hey everyone,
Thanks for the information, just what I was hoping for.

For the BLO-Turp-JP mix, could low odor mineral spirits be used instead of turpentine?
post #8 of 9 Old 03-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGRANT View Post

Iím not sure if there are water based equivalents since I donít use water based finishes.
For the finish desired the OP isn't looking for a high build topcoat. Thinned oil base film finishes wouldn't necessarily have an adhesion problem if the previous application was scuff sanded.

I would have suggested waterbase polyurethane. It finishes well if sprayed, but in this application, it could be wiped on, or brushed on. I would recommend sanding the wood to 150 - 180x, as it would take less of any finish to just provide a protective film while leaving the feel and look of the grain.

post #9 of 9 Old 03-08-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsmitty View Post
For the BLO-Turp-JP mix, could low odor mineral spirits be used instead of turpentine?
Thatís a good question. Iíve never used it. Perhaps someone else can chime in. Some oil panting mediums (Liquin) are not compatible with low odor paint thinners, so it may also be true of wood finishes as well. Donít know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode