Ultra Hard Sprayable Lacquer? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 06-03-2011, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

View StreetLight's Photo Album My Photos
Ultra Hard Sprayable Lacquer?

Hello
Im in search of a extra durable, ultra glossy clear Lacquer or clear coat that can be used in a air pressured spray gun (the kind cars are painted with). I'm making skatebaords and as of now I have just been spraying the boards with a layer of Minwax poly then a couple layers of rustoleum ultra gloss lacquer. Ideally, I would like to have a single quality lacquer/clearcoat that I could apply to either raw wood, or over stained wood as the final finish. Does anyone have any recommendations for something that meets this criteria?

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLight View Post
Hello
Im in search of a extra durable, ultra glossy clear Lacquer or clear coat that can be used in a air pressured spray gun (the kind cars are painted with). I'm making skatebaords and as of now I have just been spraying the boards with a layer of Minwax poly then a couple layers of rustoleum ultra gloss lacquer. Ideally, I would like to have a single quality lacquer/clearcoat that I could apply to either raw wood, or over stained wood as the final finish. Does anyone have any recommendations for something that meets this criteria?

Thanks !

Nitrocellulose lacquer would be as durable as any of the film finishes. You might experiment with a waterbase polyurethane. It's an easy clean-up and you won't have a blushing problem, or as a toxic of a finish. It's as durable IMO, as lacquer. Use the optional catalyst.

post #3 of 7 Old 06-03-2011, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

View StreetLight's Photo Album My Photos
how do you think the Nitrocellulose lacquer would handle the flexing wood of a longboard? Our boards can flex up to 2+ inches and need something that can handle that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-03-2011, 11:11 AM

View Jim Tank's Photo Album My Photos
Look up Varathane exterior water based spar varnish. The more I use it, the more I like it
post #5 of 7 Old 06-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLight View Post
how do you think the Nitrocellulose lacquer would handle the flexing wood of a longboard? Our boards can flex up to 2+ inches and need something that can handle that
You are going to have to do some experimenting to find out. It may depend on the ambient temperature when used. N/C lacquer and most clear film finishes are best used indoors. You might consider a spar varnish. They are oil base, and have a high oil/ratio, and UV additives. They will flex, as they are designed to be used outdoors and deal with the elements. But, oil base finishes are a bit tricky to spray effectively.

post #6 of 7 Old 06-03-2011, 11:27 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
2 Component Urethane

2K urethanes are very flexible and are usually made for exterior woodwork. U might also want to try a conversion varnish with a 2K urethane top coat.
The 2K urethanes usually start at $100/Gal and go up from there

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #7 of 7 Old 06-03-2011, 08:10 PM

View verdesardog's Photo Album My Photos
spar varnish or spar urethane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode