Woodworking Talk banner

Trying to keep white paint... White.

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  ColorStylist 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!

I'm a beginner woodworker and was wondering if you guys could help me out. My wife made me make her something that has wood stain and white paint on it. How can I possibly try and keep this white paint white? Water based Polyacrylic? Dewaxed shellac as an undercoat? Maybe even krylon clear coat?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I'll send you guys pictures when I get back home from work, I'm attempting to put a protective topcoat on the project without it yellowing the white paint. So both the paint and stain would be under the coating. Make any sense?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#6 · (Edited)
photos will help make sense of the project.

a similar project just like this came up on another forum
and it was like pulling teeth for the member to provide
more information and photos.
after about 30 posts filled with speculation, the member finally
provided a photo and all the project was was a piece of 6x6x3/4"
stained pine board with their house number painted on it to hang on their
front porch by the door.
so you can see how a general question can get off the rails pretty quickly.
so yes, photos and more information will put us all on the same page as you.

#8 ·
whatever you are trying to do, letting the finish *dry* before painting is a good idea. I agree with my fellow woodworkers that if you share a photo, it would be worth you posting thousands of words.

Oh god.. please don't tell us that she wants "live laugh, love" painted on a piece of wood from a shipping pallet.

#9 ·
Many finishes will yellow a bit over time. Not a problem unless they are on whites. I recommend Target Coatings EM 9300 super clear poly-carbonate coating. It is water clear, will never yellow over whites, is highly protective, and rated for exterior use. I have a pure white dresser that I did about ten years ago with the predecessor, EM 9000, and it is still white as can be. Very resistant to an array of spills also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.