tips for preventing excess woodfiller around patches - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 12-02-2014, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

View juells's Photo Album My Photos
tips for preventing excess woodfiller around patches

I am making a dining table and need to fill the holes left by the nailgun. I used the nailgun on the top part of the table which is a pre sanded MDF plywood.

I tried using Elmer's stainable wood filler on a scrap mdf but you can see the areas that the wood filler filled. The areas around the holes make the holes look bigger and noticeable. I was wondering if I can use mineral spirits to clean up the excess wood filler around the holes so that you don't see more than you need to. I also have seen people use masking tape to prevent the filler from going farther out from the whole. If anyone has tips on containing or working with the filler please help me.

After letting the wood filler dry on the oil based stain I can see the areas that the wood filler filled because the wood filler has a flat sheen compared to the oilbased stain that has a slight satin sheen to it.

With anyones past experience, will the Polyurethane help disguise the filler because it adds an even coat of the poly sheen to it?
OR
Does anyone have woodfilling tips to get this looking like there were never any holes.

I attached a photo below showing the scrap MDF with the woodfiller and stain test. I will be applying the water based polyurethane after it dries out completely to see what it will look like with the poly coat.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
BAhhhhhhh....stop using that filler. I use a mix of mostly sawdust and a bit of glue and it looks worlds better than that. Also, why are you nailing through a table top?

The tools don't make the craftsman....
The Following User Says Thank You to ryan50hrl For This Useful Post:
juells (12-02-2014)
post #3 of 6 Old 12-02-2014, 11:41 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I think you would be better off with a flammable type filler like famowood. Still you have to make sure you sand it enough. Another thing that would help is if you know you are going to shoot a nail where it shows put a piece of tape on the wood first and then shoot the nail through the tape. Then you can fill the nail hole without getting any putty on the surrounding wood. You can also tape around the hole but you end up getting a little on the surrounding wood.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
juells (12-02-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-02-2014, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
BAhhhhhhh....stop using that filler. I use a mix of mostly sawdust and a bit of glue and it looks worlds better than that. Also, why are you nailing through a table top?
Hmmm... ok Ill have to try the glue and sawdust. What type of glue would you recommend? Will the stain work well with the glue? i didnt save any sawdust from the cuts so I might have to try that on my next project.

The reason why I nailed the table top was because I am a novice, I was running low on patience and because this project has taken longer than expected. I made a table before that looks worst than the current one (but had many great comments). Every Time I have a project I learn something that I will take onto my next project.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-02-2014, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I think you would be better off with a flammable type filler like famowood. Still you have to make sure you sand it enough. Another thing that would help is if you know you are going to shoot a nail where it shows put a piece of tape on the wood first and then shoot the nail through the tape. Then you can fill the nail hole without getting any putty on the surrounding wood. You can also tape around the hole but you end up getting a little on the surrounding wood.
Taping before the nail goes in is a great Idea!!! THANKS! I think next time I will not use a nail gun on the visible areas.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
That's the right path...get better everytime. I use titebond 2 wood glue and sawdust. But any wood glue would work fine, it doesn't stain perfect, but neither does the stainable wood filler...

I always strive to hide any mechanical fasteners that I have to use....they're hard to cover up as your finding out and not the strongest anyhow.

The tools don't make the craftsman....

Tags
plyurethane, staining, woodfiller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode