Teak Oil or Varnish on sun exposed Rosewood Live Edge - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 01-27-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

View sanvito's Photo Album My Photos
Teak Oil or Varnish on sun exposed Rosewood Live Edge

This table will get several hours of direct sun exposure daily in 100 degree dry weather.

I have 3 options offering UV protection, which would you suggest?

1. General Finishes Outdoor Oil or Teak Oil. I like the easy annual touchup maintenance, but will this cloudy the grain pop and darken too much? It would be a CRIMINAL ACT if that grain is not shown at its fullest.

2. Marine Spar Varnish. I used this before and works great in the sun, and gives grain pop, but I can't avoid the brush marks, even with 25% paint thinner dilution. Re sanding every 3 years is not a big deal as it's a flat surface. Should I dilute with something else?

3. GF Exterior 450 water based. I like the easy 1 day finish job and no solvent issues. Will this give me that grain pop, and less brush marks?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JdJtbGGPTJ6NpQ5B8IgufQ_thumb_25ec.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	370975  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-27-2019, 03:29 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If it's not rained on too the teak oil would last longer however it will need to be re-treated from time to time. If it is rained on the marine grade spar would be a better choice however it's not maintenance free. You would have to watch it and when the finish started looking dull it would need to be scuff sanded and had another coat applied. The finish begins failing at the surface. When the sheen goes it's an indication there is microscopic cracks in the finish that would allow water to pass through. Then once the water gets under the finish it will start pealing off. Another coat of varnish seals these cracks keeping it waterproof. Eventually after a number of years the finish will fail and it would need to be stripped and refinished. You just have to decide if you want to do a bunch of work then or spread it out every couple of months for years applying oil to the wood.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-27-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
If it's not rained on too the teak oil would last longer however it will need to be re-treated from time to time.
Thanks man, it will be no rain as it's under a gazebo. I just found out Teak Oil is available at HD for $12. I will go do a test on the underside to see if the grain pop is inhibited. Will update tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-27-2019, 04:28 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Teak oil has a slight amber color to it. I used to use it on the teak accents on my boat years ago. The teak would start to turn grey over one summer, and the boat spent most of its time indoors. Marine varnish is only going to last a few years and then will need to be stripped or sanded off to start over again. General Finishes 450 with UV inhibitors is a very good product. Goes on very easily and dries quickly. It stays clear and doesn't make change the color of the wood. I would put 4-5 coats on to get a good film strength. It sprays easily too without any thinning. In between coats a light scuff sand with 320 grit is done just to provide some bite for the next coat. Out of what you suggested, the GF 450 would be my choice.
Mike Hawkins
post #5 of 9 Old 01-27-2019, 08:54 PM
Recycled Member

Location: Magnificently mountainous McBride in the Robson Valley
View Brian T's Photo Album My Photos
Marine Spar Varnish. You need to brush it on in very cold weather. That way, the varnish can flow before the solvents get a chance to evaporate to make the varnish stiffen up and hold the brush marks.

Steel car/truck rims are like that. Brush on the paint at 60F. Let them sit so the paint flows.
Then warm them up to75F. They look sprayed, every time.

It is possible to load your brush (a very good one) and lay it on without a brush mark.

One pass only. I've see pro house painters do it all day long.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-27-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanvito View Post
Thanks man, it will be no rain as it's under a gazebo. I just found out Teak Oil is available at HD for $12. I will go do a test on the underside to see if the grain pop is inhibited. Will update tomorrow.
Test the oil out on a piece of scrap or a on an inconspicuous place first to see if you like it.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-28-2019, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
General Finishes 450 with UV inhibitors is a very good product. Goes on very easily and dries quickly. It stays clear and doesn't make change the color of the wood. I would put 4-5 coats on to get a good film strength. It sprays easily too without any thinning. In between coats a light scuff sand with 320 grit is done just to provide some bite for the next coat. Out of what you suggested, the GF 450 would be my choice.
Mike Hawkins
Yes, I really prefer WB so I can do this indoors.
However, I just read this on GF's website: We do not recommend Exterior 450 stains or topcoats for exotic woods, ipe, teak or other dense, oily woods.

Rosewood is a dense oily wood. Should I do a flash alcohol wipe just before application? Or a sealcoat first?
post #8 of 9 Old 01-28-2019, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
Marine Spar Varnish. You need to brush it on in very cold weather. That way, the varnish can flow before the solvents get a chance to evaporate to make the varnish stiffen up and hold the brush marks.
Interesting about the temperature. I would have thought it was the other way around, but you make sense. Thanks.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-28-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanvito View Post
Interesting about the temperature. I would have thought it was the other way around, but you make sense. Thanks.
Actually the manufacturers don't recommend using it below around 50 degrees. The cold makes it dry so slow it's prone to get full of dust and debris because it takes too long to skim over. Other than that it doesn't hurt anything to use it in cold weather but most people read the brief instructions on the can and when it gives drying time that is for like 80 degrees. The farther you use it below 50 degrees the longer it will take for the finish to dry and people don't allow for that. In hot weather the finish might dry in around 15 hours where in the cold it might take 3-4 days. Since they have to fill the can labels with so much hazard warnings they can't give further instructions. As far as using the varnish in cold weather to make it flow out there is an additive called Flood Penetrol which can be added to the varnish to make it flow out better in hot weather. It slows down the drying time of the varnish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode