Tabletop finishing - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 11-11-2015, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

View flamingoezz's Photo Album My Photos
Tabletop finishing

I'm considering purchasing a table and chairs to refinish. The tabletop has some imperfections where it looks almost like the finish pulled up. I was wondering what the odds are that it isn't real wood or that its a laminate that I'll have trouble refinishing when I strip it down.

You can see a couple photos at the link below. Also, any idea what kind of wood it is?

Thanks for looking!

https://goo.gl/photos/6TCQfJWEmraCUKUk7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-11-2015, 09:39 PM

View mako1's Photo Album My Photos
The table top is a mahogany venier.Looks like someone spilled some fingernail polish remover or something similar on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
flamingoezz (11-11-2015)
post #3 of 8 Old 11-11-2015, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

thanks. is the veneer thick enough that i can use stripper on the top and lightly sand to make it all even and then re-stain it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-11-2015, 11:05 PM

View punkin611's Photo Album My Photos
You might open a big can of worms if you use a harsh stripper. I first would try a mix of lacquer thinner and denatured alcohol rubbing off the finish with 3/0 steel wool it will not harm top and you can refinish without sanding. it looks like you will need to stain top if you want to get it back to anywhere near color it was.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-12-2015, 08:10 AM

View todd.carpenter's Photo Album My Photos
punkin611 has the right answer, just make sure you use metal containers as the 50/50 lacquer thinner and denatured alcohol will melt most plastics. You can also try Formby's furniture restorer as well, it's fairly mild as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 Old 11-12-2015, 08:35 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The table can be refinished. It appears some of the veneer may be chipped. If so this may give you some trouble but is doable. In any case unless you live in a warm climate refinishing isn't a winter sport. Once you reach a 70 degree threshold paint removers do very bad. I'm currently turning down refinishing work until spring. When you get it stripped and sanded since it is mahogany I would recommend filling the grain with a pastewood grain filler. By doing so it will enable you to achieve a glasslike finish typical with mahogany furniture. This mahogany grain filler should stain and fill the mahogany back to it's original color. http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/cata...asp?ictNbr=105 Also the finish for the table should be sprayed. The table was originally done with a nitrocellulose lacquer however I would recommend a pre-catalyzed lacquer. It's a harder finish and more water resistant than nitro lacquer. You don't have to get a high dollar sprayer to finish wood. I use a harbor freight #97855 sprayer I get for 21 bucks with a coupon.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-12-2015, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys!

I didn't see any chips in the veneer, just looked like some of the finish kinda melted away and you could still see the wood grain underneath -- like someone said, maybe something like nail polish remover got on it and wore the finish off it.

I have an oak cabinet in my dining room. how impossible would it be to match the color?
post #8 of 8 Old 11-12-2015, 09:56 PM
Rick Mosher

View Rick Mosher's Photo Album My Photos
My guess would be water damage. Just strip and refinish, should work great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode