Substitute for birch against birch ply? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 01-15-2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

View rbarr110's Photo Album My Photos
Substitute for birch against birch ply?

OK – I need some opinions and advice.

I have started my bar project for my basement. Here is a 3D model, I always build virtually before picking up a saw.

I chose birch because I liked the way it finishes on several different projects I had looked up on the internet. I found some very nice ¾” birch plywood and started making my cuts for the build. I also needed 1x birch goods, and this is where I hit a problem….

I cannot find any nominal sized birch, all I can find is full 4/4 random width, or rough sawn. I don’t have easy access to a planer, nor do I really want to shape all the 1x goods I need.

The interior area of the bar is 1x goods and the cabinet doors are going to be a raised panel, shaker style, using the 1x on the perimeter with ¼” birch ply insert.

So to make a long question longer, is there any OTHER wood that I can use in conjunction with the birch ply that wont be glaringly obvious it isn’t the same wood? (Particularly for the cabinet doors, the other areas are not as visible.)

I have read Alder is similar, but I am having issues finding nominal sized Alder as well. I plan on using a dark stain. I have found tons of nominal Poplar and I tested stains on the birch ply and poplar, both take the stain and color similarly, but the Poplar grain is not as pronounced as the birch.

By the off chance someone on the board is in the Seattle area, and may actually know where I can find more nominal hardwood dimensioned lumber (1x4 -> ¾ x 3.5), please let me know.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-15-2009, 02:48 PM

View bradnailer's Photo Album My Photos
You might see if you can find some milled ash. It might be more similar to the birch and will stain up better than poplar.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-15-2009, 11:25 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Rbarr,
Take a look at maple too. If you go to a mill shop, you should be able to get some maple with nice figure to it. Here's a pic of what ash looks like:
Mike Hawkins
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Wishing he had a title...

View Kudzu's Photo Album My Photos
In the same boat as the OP. I am looking for something that will go with Birch plywood and read this on Wall Lumber.

Light, Straight-grained and of fine texture. Easy to work. Excellent for carving, molding and toys. Used often to trim cabinets made of birch plywood.

I have never used it but I do seem to remember that it was used in the house my Dad built when I was a kid. My local lumber yard stocks it. And I can search through it and pick what I want if it would work.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-17-2009, 12:33 PM

View mwhafner's Photo Album My Photos
You might want to check with cabinet shops in your area. Surely you can find one that is willing to true and plane birch, maple or ash for you. Alder is another good choice.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-20-2009, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

View rbarr110's Photo Album My Photos
Well I contacted a friend who knows a guy .... long story short, I bought the full 4/4 birch planed it and ripped it to what I needed, thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode