Staining Brazilian Mahogany Exterior ETO Doors - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 04-14-2008, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

View theomandel's Photo Album My Photos
Staining Brazilian Mahogany Exterior ETO Doors

Can anyone help me with a wood staining problem.....I am wanting to put in some exterior French Doors. I have found some I like that are wood and iron, at ETO Doors (www.etodoors.com).

They have sent me a sample of the Brazilian Mahogany wood that is used in making this door........ It does not appear to be a dense type of mahogany (a cross section looks like it's made up of tiny, little grains of rice).

My problem is that I don't know if this 100% Brazilian Mahogany wood will stain as nicely as an Alder or some other tighter type wood grain. I am needing to buy quite a few of these French Doors, and am worried about purchasing doors that will not have a nice stained appearance, but these doors have the exact look I am after ... IF, I can get the stain right. The type stained look I am looking for will appear to have "depth" (if that is the right word) I have seen doors like this in Alder and Mahogany, but not Brazilian Mahogany.

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks, Edie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-14-2008, 09:44 AM

View stuart's Photo Album My Photos
I thought the Brazil government has banned logging on Brazilian Mahogany/Cherry wood.

Gibson [guitars] stopped making wood from there due to ban.

As for staining it I wish I had that problem.

What color are you after: Cherry, brown etc????
post #3 of 5 Old 04-14-2008, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

View theomandel's Photo Album My Photos
I looked at a bunch of sites and they all seemed to use Brazilion Mahogany on the doors like I'm wanting........Or I should say, that the doors on these sites, that were less expensive but still had the same design I want, were made from 100% Brazilion Mahogany.

I am wanting my doors to stain more of a brown color with a little gold, and only a touch of red......I am wanting to stay away from the "cherry" look..............

Does the Brazilion Mahogany you are refering to have that funny grain I was talking about?? How do you go about staining a wood that has this type of grain???

edie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-14-2008, 12:18 PM

View stuart's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not really the dude to ask about staining.. But I was surprise about the kind of wood here being on the market at all.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-12-2011, 11:53 AM

View flyinggators's Photo Album My Photos
staining Brazilian Mahogany Exterior Door

I have the same question, but it appears this was never fully answered.

I bought a Brazilian Mahogany door from ETO. They told me the exact species is Cedro Arana which means nothing to me as I don't have much knowledge on wood species and the proper staining method.

Questions: What is the proper staining method? I am staining to get a darker finish - Minwax's "Dark Walnut". With this wood species do I need to first apply a wood conditioner?

theomandel, did you have blothiness issues? Did you use a conditioner before staining?

Thanks,
Jon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode