Spray System Recomendations? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 05-17-2012, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

View RHulsmeyer's Photo Album My Photos
Spray System Recomendations?

Hi all, thanks in advance for your insight!

I have seen some similar posts on this topic but nothing for a few months so thought I would restart with a clear title.

Im going to be doing an increased qty of furniture finishing, including stand alone pieces, cabinets, built-ins, etc., (mostly wood, some metal) and want to move to a spray application of oil and lacquer materials. I have been doing brush application for years and in some cases off-the shelf spray cans for certain applications, but am completely new and uneducated on spray systems.
I wont be doing production quantity but definitely want to do production quality so I want a good solid system that will last me for more than a couple of projects. I take great care of my tools so keeping a system clean and in good condition is not an issue.
I have a compression system but can use an upgrade so if a pressurized system is recommended, I can match the compressor/tank to the system requirements.
Questions:
Pros/cons of the different types of systems available?
Best brands/models for my intended application?
Best sources for purchase/customer service/etc.?
Thanks again!

RH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-17-2012, 08:23 PM

View Tim G's Photo Album My Photos
I got a Graco 9.5 hvlp finish system and I love it. With the system I got I also got a remote cup which requires a small additional comp pack of coarse at additional cost. I do free standing furniture. It's fairly compact. So I built a cabinet to store it in. Its made to do fine finish and not production. The remote cup makes it easy to get the gun in tight spaces. Other than spay can I had never sprayed a finish. So I started out finishing the cabinet I built to store it in and right out of the box I was able to do an excellent Finnish. I paid about $1500.00 about 3 years ago but it has paid for itself. Shop around there are less expensive systems available. But I was told by my friend and finish professional not to buy any brand but Graco. Also I do all my work in a two car garage. In a residential neighborhood.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-22-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

View RHulsmeyer's Photo Album My Photos
compressor?

Thanks Tim!
Yes, from what Im seeing online the Graco stuff looks the best. Are you using an HVLP with their turbine package or with a compressor? Im updating my air system with new brad nailers and hoped to use the same compressor for the paint system. I was looking at the Graco HVLP Edge Gun but on their spec sheet I see: The HVLP Edge gun is not intended to be used on an external compressor. I can handle $3-400 for a paint gun but would like to avoid a complete turbine system for $1000++ if I can use the compressor I would use for my nailer. Any suggestions?
RH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-22-2012, 09:10 PM

View Tim G's Photo Album My Photos
I'm using hvlp with the turbine package. I know there are hvlp guns available that run off of a shop compressor but I don't know to much about them. Sorry I can't really help more with that. But I have seen someone demonstrate that setup on utube.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-23-2012, 06:40 PM

View Bonka's Photo Album My Photos
Spray Equipment

Call Jeff @ Homestead Finishing. He is the go to guy for all things finishing.

Tags
furniture finishing, hvlp, spray on finish help, sprayer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode