Spray Gun Issues - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 12-14-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Music Teacher

View werneb01's Photo Album My Photos
Spray Gun Issues

Greetings,

I purchased this spray gun:
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...1#BVRRWidgetID

A year or two ago. I have used it to spray water based products and have cleaned it well after each use and have been happy with it.

However, I went to use it the other day and it will not take material out of the cup and spray it. I have plenty of air, I have the material adjustment wide open and nothing. To make sure I wasn't wrong I tried the material adjustment in all positions. I can't get it even to draw plain water out of the cup. I took it back apart and cannot find any obstructions. Any thoughts?

I use this sprayer with a pancake compressor and have to wait for it to catch up. I have been reading about Rockler's HVLP self contained system and it has good reviews...would a guy be better off with that?

Thanks,

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I would suggest taking the gun apart and give it a good cleaning/soaking in lacquer thinner. Use small brushes...pipe cleaners...whatever it takes to get at all the orifices. It doesn't take much to block fluid. You should still be getting air to discharge.

A self contained system is easy to use and works well with waterbase polyurethane. But, as in any spray guns they have to be meticulously maintained.

post #3 of 4 Old 12-14-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Music Teacher

View werneb01's Photo Album My Photos
I took the gun apart. I took some pieces off that I truthfully have never had off. I guess my normal level of cleaning is not good enough. Will soaking in lacquer thinner dissolve some of the suspect looking deposits in a few places? I have been brushing them just in water but maybe something more powerful is in order. All products that have been sprayed are water based. If lacquer thinner is in order then I'll get some and give it a go as I think I could poke and brush for quite some time and not get rid of a few spots.

Thanks again,

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Take this with a grain of salt......Because cleaning guns ain't that high on my "like to do list".

The sooner you run water or whatever cleaner required through gun,the better after spraying....seems like a duh statement but its priority one.We use scotchbrite on gravity feed cups interior,rightly or wrongly(minute scratches) when using water based,immediatly after using......keep dumpin out from top,quickly...refill,dump repeat.Trying to get resevoir clean as possible,quickly...then spray some more through gun.

Hold a rag over biz end at this point and percolate water back through gun......look in cup,see any colour?Dump,refill...and percolate again....look in cup,repeat.

So being in a major hurry here 'cause I've got other things to do,at this point if theres no colour showing up anywhere,wipe interior exterior with clean lintfree cloth and put 3-4 Tbs. of water(or whatever reducer) in cup and hang it up.

If I'm going to be using it in the next day or so..........can tell by just picking it up,and pullin the trigger(no-air)and watching the resultant stream of fluid comin out as to how clean it is.This won't work for siphon's.......and it takes awhile to get used to that particular guns cleaning regiment,and just what the,no air stream looks like.

I don't do complete teardowns any more than absolutly required.Now you know one of the BIG differences between cheap no-name guns and a $$$ rig.Its not only the finish they are capable of but...the better the gun,the better it holds up during routine maint.BW

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode