Spray Dye, Wipe Dye, or Spray Tinted Lacquer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 01-12-2009, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

View djonesax's Photo Album My Photos
Spray Dye, Wipe Dye, or Spray Tinted Lacquer

I am planning to dye some birch plywood with TansTint and then lacquer it and thought Iíd ask the pros how they do it.

As far as the dilute material I can useÖ
Water
Alcohol
50/50 Alcohol and lacquer thinner (as suggested by the TransTint FAQ)

As far as the application I can do the following and then lacquerÖ
Spray the dye
Wipe the dye
Foam brush the dye

Or instead of any of the above, I can just tint the lacquer and spray it which would save a lot of time.Ö

Thought Iíd get the general consensus before I test each one.

Thanks,

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-12-2009, 03:33 PM

View jerry's Photo Album My Photos
The problem I have with metal acid dyes is almost any thing you put on after will probably dissolve the dye.

Jerry
post #3 of 7 Old 01-14-2009, 01:13 PM

View toddj99's Photo Album My Photos
Not a professional but I use water for the mix, foam brush it one then apply the oil topcoat. I raise the grain and sand before applying the dye.

In order to get around the lap marks that cabinetman speaks of, I'll hit it twice with the sponge. Gets rid of any lap marks.

Last edited by toddj99; 01-14-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-14-2009, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

I was hoping to find that one way that works best. But like everything else, everyone has their own way. One guy told me use water, another said alcohol works better. I talked to 4 different people at wood craft and they all said something different too. I am sure there are good reasons to use each application. I think the one I have settled on is mixing the dye with alcohol and lacquer thinner then spraying it on. Then after that Iíll spray two coats of black tinted lacquer. I believe that should give me a nice rich black color. I plan to experiment with many different dilutents anyway, just for fun.

David
post #5 of 7 Old 01-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I use alcohol (methanol) as a NGR (non-grain raising) dye. Water mix will raise the grain. Depending on the concentration desired, just wiping may yield overlap lines as it will dry very fast. If you blush spray the dye evenly it goes quickly, and it can be wiped if necessary. It can be done in several applications.

Mixing the dye with lacquer may obscure the grain.

post #6 of 7 Old 01-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Wishing he had a title...

View Kudzu's Photo Album My Photos
I am no expert by any means but with Birch plywood my experience has been that it takes stain very well and had no problems with blotching at all. I eve used the the cheap Minwax stains with great results. Shellac or poly over it.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-21-2009, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

I figured I would explain what I ended up doing just incase anyone else has the same questions. I ended up diluting the transtint with a 50/50 mix of alcohol and lacquer thinner and mixed one quart at a time. I sprayed it on, but I did experiment with wiping and foam bruising. Spraying was not difficult because I was going for a deep black. For that reason I could just keep applying coats until it was uniform. You canít get blacker than black right? I think it would be easier to build up color if you arenít set up properly. Had I been trying for a lighter color, I donít think my gun set up ability and my technique is at the level to spray a consistent color. Who knows I may surprise myself one day. For now I would suggest for lighter colors, wetting a rag or a large foam brush. I found that there were no lap lines with the foam brush as long as I didnít let each lap dry before brushing the next line. Use a large foam brush and boogie, and I even would go back over it, like you tip off when painting. Even when there were lap lines, after the dye had completely dried they were that noticeable.

The dye dried leaving a dusty film. I sprayed right over it and it ended up fine. I also tested foam brushing over it and it was fine too.

That was my experience and despite me stressing over it, in the end it turned out good. The only problem I ran into was that before spraying the finish, I had everything set up out side and it started to sprinkle. Before I got everything hauled back into the garage, some of the pieces suffered some water spots where the rain hit the unfinished dye. Oh well, canít see it from the couch.

David

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode