Spar Urethane VS. Polyurethane for Bar Top?? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 10-03-2013, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

View mpjmeyer's Photo Album My Photos
Question Spar Urethane VS. Polyurethane for Bar Top??

Been doing much research and there seems to be mixed opinions on both urethane's.

I am building a bar with wheels on the bottom for outside use. Bar is 45" tall with the wheels, 6ft long X 35" wide. After staining, I plan on using a few coats of spar urethane, sanding between coats. Do you all prefer spar urethane over poly? If so, why??

The bar will be stained ebony black before the urethane is applied
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-03-2013, 04:51 PM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
I don't prefer one over the other. The difference between them that the spar is called a "long oil" varnish (or formula) versus the other. The moniker "long oil" simply means it has a higher percent of oil in the mix that gets cooked to become varnish. That allows it to move more freely than a lower oil formula, hence the perception it's best for outdoors. For outdoor projects I never use anything that has a urethane resin in it. Urethane's do not fare well in a high UV envirionment. That of course, is just my opinion....

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
post #3 of 19 Old 10-03-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

What would you prefer instead of a urethane?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 10-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjmeyer View Post
What would you prefer instead of a urethane?
A spar varnish. They can take weeks to cure.

post #5 of 19 Old 10-04-2013, 07:02 AM

I would use one of 2 things: either a non-poly varnish, this would be an alkyd or phenolic resin varnish. Examples would be Pratt and Lambert #38 (can be hard to find), an alkyd/soya oil varnish, Waterlox Original (phenolic/tung oil) or Sherwin Williams Fast Dry Oil varnish (and alhyd/linseed oil formula). That's what I would use if is rolled back and forth between shelter and the outdoors. But if it's to sit outdoors, I'd use untinted paint. I've had great success with that, though you have to be careful, some of the bases don't dry clear, and Lowes has stopped carrying the Olympic brand I liked so well. Here is a link to another forum where I first read about this, and it has since become my goto outdoor finish when I need something that looks like varnish.
Edit in: should mentioned this earlier, a lot of water borne guys like GF 450 for outdoor use, and claim very long life from it. It's very high on my want-to-try list. If none of this appeal to you, consider a true marine spar varnish, like Epifanes. The resin in it is alkyd, and it's a really good finish, but fairly expensive.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)

Last edited by Fred Hargis; 10-04-2013 at 08:07 AM.
post #6 of 19 Old 10-04-2013, 07:54 AM

View Tilaran's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Tilaran
Go to a real store( Not Bloze or Depoze) and ask about some hardwood floor finish. If your bar gets as much use as mine you'll need it ! Sunz up ! Bloody Mary time !
Pura Vida !
post #7 of 19 Old 10-04-2013, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

The bar won't be outside permanently. It has wheels attached to the bottom so it can be rolled back into the garage or wherever it may roam.

Last edited by mpjmeyer; 10-04-2013 at 10:40 AM.
post #8 of 19 Old 10-04-2013, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Last edited by mpjmeyer; 10-04-2013 at 10:55 AM.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-04-2013, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

The entire bar will be stained with Minwax ebony oil based. Between the two mounted boxes on top will sit the Jagermeister machine. The rectangular openings you see on each or the towers sides will fit frosted rectangular plexiglass pieces. On top of those towers, I will be drilling holes and placing the alcohol bottles over them. The lower part of the bar, the 2 6' sides will hold 2 pieces of plexiglass each and the sides will have 1 each, all in which will be frosted as well. Once all done, there will be led spotlights placed within it lighting up the bottles on top and the frosted plexiglass around the whole bar. With the wheels attached, the bar sits 45" high.
post #10 of 19 Old 10-04-2013, 11:26 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The biggest difference between a polyurethane and a spar is the spar is made more elastic to withstand the weather extremes of being outdoors. Even the humidity in the air will make wood swell and since a polyurethane is a harder finish is more likely to crack because of the weather. Then there are different grades of spar varnish. I would use a marine grade spar. Lowes sells a Cabot brand marine grade spar that is pretty good but the best would be Epifanes. It's available at boat supply stores.
post #11 of 19 Old 10-05-2013, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Has anybody here used spar urethane on a bar top??
post #12 of 19 Old 10-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Old School

Quote:
Has anybody here used spar urethane on a bar top??
Keep in mind that spars are a soft (so-to-speak) film finish. If you used one of the top grade marine finishes, that stuff is very expensive, and directions suggest 5-7 coats. Any film finish will fail under exterior use sooner or later, and it's a PITA to refinish. If the bar can be stored inside until use, and you want a film finish, an oil base polyurethane may hold up for a while.

Or, for the exposed surfaces, instead of a film finish, use ľ" clear plate glass, and seal it in with GE silicone II.

post #13 of 19 Old 10-05-2013, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

The bar will only be outside during use. So I don't see a need anything super weather proof. I want good quality that will last a very long time. Which will hold up longer?
post #14 of 19 Old 10-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Old School

Quote:
The bar will only be outside during use. So I don't see a need anything super weather proof. I want good quality that will last a very long time. Which will hold up longer?
If that's the case, just use an oil base polyurethane.

post #15 of 19 Old 10-05-2013, 12:34 PM

I would use an oil based varnish, but for me that would be a non-polyurethane formula as described earlier.

post #16 of 19 Old 10-07-2013, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Making Progress...

Last edited by mpjmeyer; 10-07-2013 at 11:01 AM.
post #17 of 19 Old 10-10-2013, 11:44 AM

View Bill White's Photo Album My Photos
The design looks to be bomb proof.
Eager to see the finished product. (the bar-not the drinks. I know what they look like.)
Bill
post #18 of 19 Old 10-12-2013, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

I just applied my 2nd coat of polyurethane on my bar top but still need several coats to create a level surface. Is it possible I can pour Parks Super Glaze Epoxy over the polyurethane?

If so, will masking tape around the edges stop the epoxy from running down?

Will I still have the "glossy" appearance?
post #19 of 19 Old 10-12-2013, 11:42 AM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
In my part of the world, seasonal temperature swings of -25F to 90+F (hotter in the sunshine) are common.
Outdoor furniture, most chainsaw carvings (8' bears and so on) and serious log homes are finished with Sikkens Cetol.
That's only if you want to do it right, from the start.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode