Simple Black Finish - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ColorStylist
  • 1 Post By Rick Mosher

post #1 of 12 Old 05-31-2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

View ajanosa's Photo Album My Photos
Simple Black Finish

Hello all!

I've done quite a bit of looking here and elsewhere to no avail, just looking for a sort of definitive answer to an issue: As a clarinetist, I've made some simple wooden boxes with a piece of glass lining the bottom interior to store my reeds (I know that might seem like a strange visual...just search "glass reed cases", you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about). I make them simply out of 1/4" birch plywood, and just want them painted or lacquered black. My issue, I'm looking to figure out the most durable finish for this wooden case which will be carried around in bags, backpacks, instrument cases, etc. Not to be used or roughed around by 6th graders, but used by college students or pro musicians who may still travel frequently with these cases. They need to be painted opaque black (i.e. a very dark stain will not work), and any finish from satin through gloss is acceptable. I've tried Rustoleum black lacquer, it provides a nice finish but really refuses to harden completely if it's too thick, which is hard to control from a spray can. I've tried quality black paints with acrylic sealers, but these are just not usually durable when it comes to being transported around in an instrument case with other papers and equipment. Any finish ideas or techniques I'm not thinking of? I'm really only familiar with stains and oil finishes, so this is not at all an area I have an experience with. Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-31-2017, 09:37 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
What you are describing sounds like you need to acquire spray equipment and use production lacquer. The lacquer can be ordered at a real paint store like Sherwin Williams. You could get a black lacquer primer to seal and level the surface and then topcoat with lacquer.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-01-2017, 01:55 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
For durability, unless you get into the fancier lawyer finishes that Steve mentioned Id recommend going with an oil-based enamel paint. Takes forever to dry, but of the common paints I've used it stands up to abuse the best, and its inexpensive and easier to apply.

The problems you mentioned having with lacquer are easy to fix, even with a spray can. Its all about technique, it's pretty easy to develop a feel for it. Lacquer is pretty forgiving about application too, it allows you to get good results by applying multiple thin coats and touching up any spots you missed in one coat during the next, vs something like an acrylic or latex paint where trying to touch up one area can look weird

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-01-2017, 12:13 PM
Advanced Color Matcher

View ColorStylist's Photo Album My Photos
You can simply brush on some black latex paint, let dry, scuff sand slightly, then apply another coat of black latex. After it dries, apply this:

https://generalfinishes.com/retail-p...t#.WTA8auvyvX5

Follow the directions on the can and you should be good to go. It can also be applied by hand, and its a very hard finish.
calkan likes this.

Matching colors on different substrates is easy. All it takes is patience and beer.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-01-2017, 02:28 PM
Rick Mosher

View Rick Mosher's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
For durability, unless you get into the fancier lawyer finishes that Steve mentioned
Yeah, I hate those Lawyer finishes too!
Catpower likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-01-2017, 04:39 PM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mosher View Post
Yeah, I hate those Lawyer finishes too!
Bloody hell, every time... I thought I caught it every time it autocorrected this time. Guess I missed one

I need cheaper hobby
post #7 of 12 Old 06-03-2017, 06:39 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Bloody hell, every time... I thought I caught it every time it autocorrected this time. Guess I missed one

So what did you mean to say?
post #8 of 12 Old 06-03-2017, 07:39 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Best spray paint I've used

I use this on my tractor parts, it's durable and fairly fast drying, not lacquer:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...k?cm_vc=-10005

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 12 Old 06-03-2017, 08:33 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Guessing epicfail48 was referring to the word "LAYER". Be safe.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-03-2017, 09:11 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I think he meansa ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchux View Post
"lacquer"

Steve:
What you are describing sounds like you need to acquire spray equipment and use production lacquer. The lacquer can be ordered at a real paint store like Sherwin Williams. You could get a black lacquer primer to seal and level the surface and then topcoat with lacquer.

Epic:
For durability, unless you get into the fancier lawyer finishes that Steve mentioned Id recommend going with an oil-based enamel paint. Takes forever to dry, but of the common paints I've used it stands up to abuse the best, and its inexpensive and easier to apply.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-03-2017 at 10:45 AM. Reason: added bold type
post #11 of 12 Old 06-03-2017, 09:14 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Only epicfail48 can say for certain the word he intended! Be safe.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-03-2017, 12:18 PM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
"lacquer"

Steve:

Epic:
Quote:
Only epicfail48 can say for certain the word he intended! Be safe.
I meant lacquer, the autocorrect on my tablet just likes lawyers more than wood finishes. Sure as hell didn't get that from me...

I need cheaper hobby
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
woodchux (06-04-2017)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode