Shelf finish for plastic models - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By B Coll

post #1 of 7 Old 05-24-2020, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

View Roybrew's Photo Album My Photos
Shelf finish for plastic models

I built my wife a few display cabinets for her model horses, and after the plastic models have sat on the shelf for extended periods of time they stick to the finish. The shelves are 3/4 oak vaneer plywood. I finished them with minwax oil stain and topcoated with minwax oil based polyurethane. I am building another cabinet and trying to decide how to finish the shelves, so the models won't stick to it. I think it's a chemical reaction because the cabinets range from 3 to 6 years old, and the age of the finish doesn't seem to be a factor. Would a water based polycrylic finish work, so the plastic hooves don't stick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-24-2020, 08:04 PM

View B Coll's Photo Album My Photos
Not a big fan of polycrylic. I do use water born finishes, but you can't buy them in big box stores. Before polycrylic I would probably try a brushing lacquer, or even rattle can lacquer. I believe that would work as nitrocellulose has been used for decades on guitars and such and regularly makes contact with plastic parts, such as pick guards.
Tony B likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to B Coll For This Useful Post:
Roybrew (05-24-2020)
post #3 of 7 Old 05-24-2020, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks B Coll, I didn't think about lacquer . My wife suggested maybe use the oil stain and no top coat?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-25-2020, 10:42 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Have you tried waxing it?

It seems odd to me that they’d stick to fully cured poly, but I guess anything can happen.

One of my tricks to keep stuff from sticking to acrylic enamel was to put a good coat of wax on it. Maybe you could try that with the poly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quickstep For This Useful Post:
Roybrew (05-26-2020)
post #5 of 7 Old 05-26-2020, 07:19 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Coll View Post
..................... I would probably try a brushing lacquer, or even rattle can lacquer. I believe that would work as nitrocellulose has been used for decades on guitars and such and regularly makes contact with plastic parts, such as pick guards.
Add to that .............it's been used for almost a century on kitchen table tops.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #6 of 7 Old 05-26-2020, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to not apply any top coat on the stain, and see how that goes. I like the idea of using a wax I might try that another time, thanks Quickstep.

I agree with Tony B it doesn't make sense, but maybe if one of these models were left on a kitchen table for a year it might stick to it? Got me.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-26-2020, 10:38 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
[QUOTE=Roybrew;2113691.....maybe if one of these models were left on a kitchen table for a year it might stick to it? Got me.[/QUOTE]

Not unless it had thinner or some other kind of solvent, it should not.
If you use a wax or any thing other than a hard finish, it will definitely stick again.

I just went back and re-read your original post "...............I finished them with minwax oil stain and topcoated with minwax oil based polyurethane...........". It is possible that you used too much stain and it didn't really dry properly. This could have reacted with the poly and prevented the poly from completely curing. A remote possibility, but still, a possibility.
I dont ever use oil stains, matter of fact, I rarely ever use any stain. But if I do, I use aniline or alcohol/solvent based stains. they take some getting used to, but they dry almost instantly.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony B For This Useful Post:
Roybrew (05-27-2020)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode