Sanding and Staining Old Furniture - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 10-04-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

View William Hall's Photo Album My Photos
Sanding and Staining Old Furniture

Good day all, I took on a project to convert an old radio console into a mini bar. I am an true novice, This is my 3rd project, the first 2 look really good, but I am struggling with this one. Take a look at the attached photos. I stripped the entire piece with a stain and poly remover. I sanded it down (where I think my issue is), applied the wood conditioner, then the stain. On the darker pieces of wood, you can see where I did not do a very good job of sanding. How can I fix this or go back and make this look better before I apply the poly? Thanks in advance for an advice you can give me
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-04-2017, 02:05 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Your piece is most likely veneer, so you will need to be very careful not to sand completely through it.
If you have visible places where you did not sand the finish completely off, you will need to go back and re-sand those places.
When everything is sanded well but there is major variances in the wood color; this is where a Toner is used. The Toner is applied very lightly to blend light and dark. I donít think you need a Toner. I think in your case itís more sanding. The sanding will actually be more difficult because the stain may gum up your sandpaper. Because of the contours, sand by hand. Start with 150 grit.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
The Following User Says Thank You to Toolman50 For This Useful Post:
William Hall (10-05-2017)
post #3 of 4 Old 10-04-2017, 03:34 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Wash the area you need to sand with lacquer thinner and let it dry. Then do the sanding you need. The stain will still gum up on the paper but there isn't a better alternative. Just change paper when it gums up. After you get the sanding done stain it again.

More than likely you shouldn't have put a wood conditioner on it. I had a antique refinishing shop for 10 years and never used a conditioner on anything. The wood never strips completely clean so it isn't like staining a new piece of wood even if it's a type of wood prone to blotch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-04-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

View William Hall's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you Sir...I will try this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode