Sanding in between coats of water based poly - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 10-18-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

View Codyw725's Photo Album My Photos
Sanding in between coats of water based poly

I'm using Verthayne water based poly. On the can it says you can apply coats after two hours. My question is it better to let it dry for 24 hours and then sand it before each coat to help clean it up a bit or just keep coating it every 2 hours? Also I've noticed I have little bits of fabric here and there in my poly. What can I use to strain it to remove that stuff? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-18-2017, 10:47 PM

View Cowboy18's Photo Album My Photos
Sand with 240 grit or higher 320-400 grit. After the second coat drys for 24hrs. Use an air compresser to blow off the fine white dust, then wipe down with clear or crème mineral spirits. Let that dry for 45 minutes. Use a cloth with very little lent to wipe with, like an old t-shirt. Put your third coat on in a dust free area, using full careful over lapping strokes. Start from one end to the other without stopping. Do not paint it on, it is not paint. Everywhere you stop and start will show. Let dry for 24 hrs. Do it all again if it needs it.

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it"

Thomas Jefferson
post #3 of 9 Old 10-18-2017, 10:53 PM

PS: You are not trying to burn through the first two coats. Don't use your eyes so much, go by how it feels. You should have it very smooth to the touch, no nubs detectable to your finger tips. Then use the mineral spirits and lent free clothe.

Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-18-2017, 11:14 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The two hours on the instructions is the minimum time based on using it on a warm dry day. If it's cool and or damp 24 hours could be insufficient. Still if you rush it a little and put too much on too fast it won't ruin the project it will just take a lot longer for the finish to fully harden. It could be hard on the surface and gummy underneath and much more easier to damage. If you have the time it would be worth it to be patient and let each coat dry completely.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-19-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
The two hours on the instructions is the minimum time based on using it on a warm dry day. If it's cool and or damp 24 hours could be insufficient. Still if you rush it a little and put too much on too fast it won't ruin the project it will just take a lot longer for the finish to fully harden. It could be hard on the surface and gummy underneath and much more easier to damage. If you have the time it would be worth it to be patient and let each coat dry completely.

I was BBQing Brisket and smoking Turkey in a T-shirt last Christmas. 24 Hours is plenty of time in South Texas. If you own a snow shovel, you better listen to Steve Neul.

Thomas Jefferson
post #6 of 9 Old 10-19-2017, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

View Codyw725's Photo Album My Photos
This is water based poly, I didn't think you used mineral spirits with water based poly?
post #7 of 9 Old 10-19-2017, 11:16 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
You could just use clean water to wipe it down, but the mineral spirits would evaporate in due time

The spots of "fabric" you are seeing is probably the grain raising from the water based poly, that needs to be sanded down or it will telegraph through the subsequent coats
post #8 of 9 Old 10-19-2017, 07:18 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy18 View Post
I was BBQing Brisket and smoking Turkey in a T-shirt last Christmas. 24 Hours is plenty of time in South Texas. If you own a snow shovel, you better listen to Steve Neul.
It's more than temperature. Humidity can really screw with finishing too.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-20-2017, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
It's more than temperature. Humidity can really screw with finishing too.

I know Steve, just being a bit of ham is all. The fact is the drying time changes constantly as you said with the weather.

Thomas Jefferson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode