Repairing Wood Table - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 09-19-2020, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

View guyroppa's Photo Album My Photos
Repairing Wood Table

Hi All,

New to any type of wood repair.. So far I've tried to use white vinegar and lineseed oil to repair these stains. White stain and dark stain.

Is my next stage to sandpaper with 80, 150 and finally 200? Could I just paint?

This is a vintage rectory dining table
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	119940764_741222933398428_3808213631974705825_n.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	395633  

Click image for larger version

Name:	119969609_741222863398435_2088871044950947036_n.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	395635  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-19-2020, 04:48 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The first step you should do is to clean the table with a wax and grease remover. This will remove the majority of oils or polishes that may have been put on the table over the years. This should be done even if you strip it. Silicone which is an ingredient in aerosol furniture polish can cause you a lot of problems finishing it and it makes the job easier if most of it was gone.

Other than stripping the finish off and starting over there isn't a fix. With wood you should never sand a finish off. A certain amount of the finish penetrates into the wood and sanding tends to remove what is on the surface. Then when you are done sanding you go to stain it and places here and there won't accept the stain because the wood is still sealed with the old finish. Now the hard part is a paint stripper that is effective is unavailable to the DIY now. You would probably save yourself a lot of grief by finding a furniture refinisher and have them do it. Otherwise you might find yourself stripping it six or eight times to get the finish off. The table looks modern to me. Maybe it was finished with lacquer. If so probably your best bet would be to strip the finish with lacquer thinner. It would still need to be stripped several times frequently changing rags but in the end it will be cleaner. You might wet the table with lacquer thinner and see if it gets sticky. If it does it's probably lacquer or maybe shellac. Either would strip the same way.

Now, painting it you will see the texture of the wood in the paint unless you do a lot of extra work. To paint it check and see if the finish is lacquer. If it is lacquer you would need to prime the table with a lacquer primer. From there you could use any finish. An oil based primer won't bond very well to lacquer and the finish will fail prematurely. If it's not lacquer you could scuff sand the finish with 220 grit paper and put a coat of an oil based primer on. You could still use any paint except a lacquer paint.

Don't use vinegar on furniture. If it does anything at all it would damage the finish. Linseed oil doesn't really help anything. If you left a film on the surface it would make the furniture sticky for quite a while. Linseed oil wouldn't do amy more good than to use Old English scratch cover.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-19-2020, 05:02 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
If this is a real "vintage" table with antique value I probably would do nothing other than a good cleaning.

George

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode