Relatively simple finish for quartersawn red oak? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 01-30-2018, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

View woodyhoos's Photo Album My Photos
Relatively simple finish for quartersawn red oak?

Hello - new to this forum.
I had some red oak lumber milled quartersawn from a tree on my property. Beautiful, stable wood. I had some of it sawn relatively thinly so I can use it as interior siding for one wall in a treehouse.

Given that it is a) a treehouse for my kids and b) Im going to finish an entire wall, Im looking for a relatively simple finish (which includes not requiring tons of additional sanding). My main goal is to highlight the grain pattern and make the flecks pop.

Amy I asking for something that is impossible ?

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-30-2018, 08:40 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I wouldn't advise using red oak for exterior purposes. It's prone to turn black if it gets wet and rots a lot easier than pine.

If you are going to do it, the exterior would be better painted with an oil based enamel and the interior done with a marine grade spar varnish. It would be very important to coat all edges and especially the ends with some finish to keep water out. It probably should be finish before installed.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-30-2018, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Steve. But this is for an interior wall. About 80 sq ft worth of siding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-30-2018, 09:00 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
rough sawn or planed smooth?

I would use an oil based stain like Penofin. It comes in shades, see below on this link. It is easily applied and refreshed should the need arise. It won't flake and peel like a film finish like Poly and should last a long time:
http://www.penofin.com/wood-stains/v...tal-wood-stain

It's on the interior of an unheated playhouse, right? That won't affect this product, see description in the link for applications.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 13 Old 01-30-2018, 09:00 AM

Another thought. How long ago was the wood cut from the tree? It generally takes a year for every inch thickness for the wood to dry. It would be better if the wood was checked with a moisture content meter before it was installed. You should wait until it's down to at least 10-12 percent.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-30-2018, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Yes, unheated treehouse.

The lumber was stickered outside for about 18 months, and has now been inside for 2+ years.

Appreciate your thoughts.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-30-2018, 09:21 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Rough saw or planed smooth?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 13 Old 01-30-2018, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

I'll have to check again. The original boards were rough sawn about 1 1/4 inches. I had them ripped to about 5/8" for use as interior siding, and to more efficiently use the wood. I can't remember what he did next, but I think he ran them through a sander. But not super smooth, which is fine for my rustic application.

I could hand sand everything if it was critical to getting the look that I'd like. But I don't want to have to hand sand through 4 different grits of sandpaper. I would rather spend that time with my kids. So sign me up for 1 sanding cycle ;-)
post #9 of 13 Old 01-30-2018, 10:04 AM

You still need to finish the back side of the wood. It doesn't have to be the same quality of finish as the face but it needs to be sealed to prevent it from cup warping.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-30-2018, 12:40 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
This sounds like one of those really nice treehouses as seen on TV.
I hope you include a picture when your finished.
I normally dont like a stain and finish mix that can be applied all at once but I think that would be my choice for your project unless I used a milk type stain that would be light instead of dark to show the grain of the Oak.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #11 of 13 Old 01-30-2018, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Toolman,
It doesn't have electricity, multiple floors, or a bathroom, but I'm pretty happy with it ;-) I actually bought the hardware from Nelson Treehouses. Here's a picture. I've been waiting to completely finish before taking more photos, but I don't think I'll ever completely finish it. My favorite part is the live edge cedar siding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Treehouse1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	338409  

post #12 of 13 Old 01-30-2018, 06:52 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Looks great. Adults are getting into treehouses too. Ive seen full bars inside.
My kids had to make do with an elevated fort because our trees were too small for a treehouse.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #13 of 13 Old 01-30-2018, 07:57 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
That's a pretty deluxe tree house. I love the live edge cedar siding too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode