refinish waxed wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 07-29-2012, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

View cbnewman's Photo Album My Photos
refinish waxed wood

I have some large boxes that I build a few years ago out of red oak. As a beginning woodworker, the advice I got at the time was to finish the wood with wax as this would allow the natural grain of the wood to be exposed. The fact that the wood is essentially unprotected from water stains, etc is a little annoying but I've gotten over it for the most part.

My problem now is that the wood is a little beat up, with some moderate scuffs and a few scratches (and perhaps a water stain or two) and I'd like to rejuvenate them.

1. Any alternatives to finishing them that I should consider?
2. What is the best way to sand and re-wax them should I go that route? I understand the basic concepts of sanding with progressively finer grit sand paper, but I really could use some basic, step-by-step instructions here (I seem to remember there is a step involving mineral oil and possibly steel wool?)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-29-2012, 11:58 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I would first strip them with paint and varnish remover to remove the wax before sanding. I believe instead of using a chemical coating on the boxes I would use a polymerized tung oil. This finish is formulated for use on floors so it should take the abuse and would be more water resistant than wax.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-29-2012, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

View cbnewman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I would first strip them with paint and varnish remover to remove the wax before sanding. I believe instead of using a chemical coating on the boxes I would use a polymerized tung oil. This finish is formulated for use on floors so it should take the abuse and would be more water resistant than wax.
Great advice; thanks!

I have zero experience with tung oil. In your opinion, this will still allow the natural grain of the wood to come out? I was advised to stay away from stain and varnish as the wood really is of high quality and I want to showcase it.

Thanks again,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-29-2012, 12:34 PM

I recommended the tung oil since it sounds like the boxes take some abuse so varnish would be much harder to maintain with that kind of use. Also any time you strip wax there is a chance you might miss a spot and the varnish would not adhere at all.

Tung oil is easy to use. It's thinner than vegetable oil and you just put it on with foam brush or rag. It will finish much like the wax however it would be more resistant to water stains. Then if more spots get scratched or scuffed you can just sand off the spots and re-apply the oil.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-29-2012, 06:40 PM

View Bill White's Photo Album My Photos
Not takin' away from Steve's post, but I believe he's suggesting a tung oil "finish" which is a varnish mixture. Not just plain tung oil.
I could be wrong (and have been in the not too distant past-yesterday).
Bill
post #6 of 9 Old 07-30-2012, 12:08 AM

Here is the link for the tung oil. http://www.sutherlandwelles.com/tung-oil/why/
I don't believe it has varnish in it but they don't exactly say.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-30-2012, 10:39 AM

View WillemJM's Photo Album My Photos
I have a lot of old pieces that were finished with mineral oil, followed by paste wax, with a cleaning coat every year. On a few of them now, I have refinished with Lacquer and all went well.

All I did is wipe the wax off with Lacquer thinners until the grain shows no wax, apply Deft sanding sealer, sand and then apply Deft lacquer.

Pure mathematics is, in it's way, the poetry of logical ideas. - Albert Einstein.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-30-2012, 10:41 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I would think that a good washing of the boxes with alcholol would be sufficient to remove the wax.

George
post #9 of 9 Old 10-15-2012, 09:16 AM

View slevapaul's Photo Album My Photos
The lacquer finishing gives best look to the furniture.Most of the people likes to have the lacquer or oil based finishing to the furniture. Thanks for sharing the nice information.

Bench seating Components

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode