Popular- Gel Stain or Oil based Stain - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-29-2011, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

View dzobrist's Photo Album My Photos
Popular- Gel Stain or Oil based Stain

Starting on my first furniture project. I decided to use popular wood and have done some reading and talking and would love to get you all's input.

I want to stain the popular a dark stain and put a poly gloss to make a nice shine. The guy at the specialty hardwood store I went to recommended I use a Gel stain to avoid the splotchies but from my reading Gel stain is almost like paint and it won't let the grain of the wood come out.

If I go down the oil based stain route I read that I should use a pre stain conditioner....but heard that these conditioners are really just mineral spirits being sold for more. true?

Any suggestions, comments or advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-29-2011, 09:23 AM
I run with chisels.

View joesbucketorust's Photo Album My Photos
If by popular you mean poplar - then just remember:
pre-stain
pre-stain
PRE-stain
PRE-STAIN

And no, not all conditioners are a alike, some are cheap some are not. Behlens used to be good, haven't had to use it in a while so I don't know if they've gone cheapo.

Gel-stains aren't so much like paint as they are semi-congealed jello. They remind me of something else, but I can't put my finger on it right now this early in the morning. Maybe that green snot toy that used to come in a small can as a kid? Anyhow - properly stirred up it isn't as liquid as regular stain, so it doesn't rush in to fill all the pores the minute you slap it down (which is what causes the blotching - stain rushes in to fill open grain in one spot, no open grain in another.) Instead it kinda takes it time meandering down. So you put some on, wipe it off and if it's not enough you do it again and creep up on what you want. It gives you a little safety net time-wise.

An elitist would just say poplar is for painting. I disagree with that. I think it also burns nicely.

Insert witty signature line here.
The Following User Says Thank You to joesbucketorust For This Useful Post:
dzobrist (12-31-2011)
post #3 of 8 Old 12-29-2011, 09:30 AM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
dzobrist, what joe means by "if by poplar you mean poplar" is that most lumber yards sell a wood they call poplar, but it is NOT actually poplar, it is "yellow poplar" which is American tulipwood. It is fairly forgiving of finishes. REAL poplar (aka cottonwood) is NOT very forgiving and will blotch up quite readily.

EDIT: if you're not sure which you've got just check the differences on my site.

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
The Following User Says Thank You to phinds For This Useful Post:
dzobrist (12-31-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-29-2011, 12:16 PM

View sailorman's Photo Album My Photos
I made a CD cabinet from Norm's New Yankee Workshop plans. I used poplar, stained with Old Masters Gel Stain (Cherry). No blotchiness at all. Wiped it on with a rag, waited a few minutes then wiped off the excess. I'm very pleased with the result. Note that I did not get what I considered acceptable results using Minwax Gel Stain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stain detail.jpg
Views:	2593
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	34495  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CD Cabinet 2.jpg
Views:	3220
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	34496  

The Following User Says Thank You to sailorman For This Useful Post:
dzobrist (12-31-2011)
post #5 of 8 Old 12-29-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
I made a CD cabinet from Norm's New Yankee Workshop plans. I used poplar, stained with Old Masters Gel Stain (Cherry). No blotchiness at all. Wiped it on with a rag, waited a few minutes then wiped off the excess. I'm very pleased with the result. Note that I did not get what I considered acceptable results using Minwax Gel Stain.
yes, but which "poplar" are you talking about?

post #6 of 8 Old 12-29-2011, 01:45 PM

View sailorman's Photo Album My Photos
whatever 'poplar' is sold by Lowes. I bought a sufficient quantity to build the cabinet plus a bit extra. It had grain color that was everything from cream colored to green and even purple. I don't know if that helps you determine which species it actually is, I can only go by what it's being sold as. You are obviously far more informed than I am, (I've reviewed the encyclopedia of information on your website).

I did find that, whatever the actual species, the wood I purchased is difficult to stain with stains other than the gel stain; I tried both oil and water based stains, with and without pre-stain conditioners, and only got acceptable results with the Old Masters Gel stain. Even the Minwax Gel Stain had the green grain streaks show through. The Old Masters let the character of the grain show, without having the color bleed through.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-29-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
whatever 'poplar' is sold by Lowes. I bought a sufficient quantity to build the cabinet plus a bit extra. It had grain color that was everything from cream colored to green and even purple. I don't know if that helps you determine which species it actually is, I can only go by what it's being sold as. You are obviously far more informed than I am, (I've reviewed the encyclopedia of information on your website).

I did find that, whatever the actual species, the wood I purchased is difficult to stain with stains other than the gel stain; I tried both oil and water based stains, with and without pre-stain conditioners, and only got acceptable results with the Old Masters Gel stain. Even the Minwax Gel Stain had the green grain streaks show through. The Old Masters let the character of the grain show, without having the color bleed through.
This is "yellow poplar" aka "tulip poplar" and is actually NOT a poplar but is American tulip. It's not as easy to stain as some woods, but it's not nearly as nasty as actual poplar (cottonwood).

post #8 of 8 Old 12-31-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

View dzobrist's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinds View Post
dzobrist, what joe means by "if by poplar you mean poplar" is that most lumber yards sell a wood they call poplar, but it is NOT actually poplar, it is "yellow poplar" which is American tulipwood. It is fairly forgiving of finishes. REAL poplar (aka cottonwood) is NOT very forgiving and will blotch up quite readily.

EDIT: if you're not sure which you've got just check the differences on my site.

Looks like its cottonwood....I'll go with a Gel Stain to be safe.

Tags
dark, gel, oil based poly, popular, stain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode