Polyurethane Over Paint?? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 02-07-2018, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

View Nick W.'s Photo Album My Photos
Polyurethane Over Paint??

I am working on some tables and the customer wants solid black as the color of her end tables. She has even picked out the paint for them. It's an interior/exterior Valspar flat black paint. I could be wrong because I'm still new and never put paint on furniture, but I feel like that black will show brush marks in the paint.
So here are my questions:

How do you recommend to apply the paint so it won't leave brush marks?

Should I put polyurethane over the paint like I would normally do if it were stain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-07-2018, 09:25 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You shouldn't put polyurethane over the paint. Polyurethane has a yellow tint to it and will continue to yellow as it ages. Most black paint is really a very dark blue. Putting yellow over the top will make it look green. Perhaps not right away but certainly when it ages.

If it were me I would paint it with a black paint with the desired sheen and call it done.

The best way to minimize brush marks is to use as soft of a paint brush as you can find and apply it as thin as you can with as few strokes as possible. Paint starts to set up the instant it is taken out of the can when it's exposed to air. The more you brush the paint the more it's exposed to air. When the paint is applied it needs to be wet enough that it flows back together after brushing. If it's thickened by brushing too much it tends to stay like it is with all the grooves created by the brush.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-07-2018, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

View Nick W.'s Photo Album My Photos
I knew the oil base poly would leave the yellow stain and I know you're supposed to use water base on paint. I know you recommended lacquer before and I have some. Or is the paint itself is a good protector?

What do you think about a foam brush for applying the paint? I seem to have better luck with a foam brush for poly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-07-2018, 09:44 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick W. View Post
I knew the oil base poly would leave the yellow stain and I know you're supposed to use water base on paint. I know you recommended lacquer before and I have some. Or is the paint itself is a good protector?

What do you think about a foam brush for applying the paint? I seem to have better luck with a foam brush for poly.
You have to be careful what you put lacquer on. Over an existing finish the solvents in lacquer can lift the finish like you put paint stripper on it. Lacquer is best done when starting with bare wood.

Paint alone is a good protector especially if it is an enamel. Sometimes if the color contains red you experience a great deal of fading but black should last forever indoors.

I don't care for foam brushes. I quit using them because they either dropped bits of the foam in the finish or made bubbles.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-07-2018, 10:17 AM

View kklowell's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to kklowell
I get away from brush marks by spraying whenever possible. That comes with its own set of problems though, like sags and drips, so practice is needed.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-07-2018, 11:04 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
my bil apples oil base poly over paint often, and it looks great. actually did his kitchen c-tops that way. I believe that he used oil base paint, sand between coats, poly over top. I think he thinned his first poly coat. as steve said, it will yellow some.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode