Polycrylic over Spray paint - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 05-03-2011, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

View bsadelman's Photo Album My Photos
Polycrylic over Spray paint

Can i put a minwax polycrylic brush on gloss clear coat over a piece of spray painted wood? I am sure the rustoleum spray paint is oil based. I did a test piece and it looks fine 24 hours later, but will it fail in the future or start to chip? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-03-2011, 06:06 PM

View russjohnson's Photo Album My Photos
I've put polycrylic over acrylic paint with no issues. I don't know if that helps.

----------------------------
Russ
Austin, Texas
post #3 of 11 Old 05-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsadelman View Post
Can i put a minwax polycrylic brush on gloss clear coat over a piece of spray painted wood? I am sure the rustoleum spray paint is oil based. I did a test piece and it looks fine 24 hours later, but will it fail in the future or start to chip? Thanks
Once the paint has dried you could apply the Polycrylic. What is your reason for doing that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-04-2011, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

I want to waterproof a table.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-04-2011, 05:34 AM

View Brink's Photo Album My Photos
Indoor or outdoors?
post #6 of 11 Old 05-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Old School

Quote:
I want to waterproof a table.
This might save you a step. If you are painting a table with an oil base paint, with sufficient applications, it will be water resistant so to speak to the point that adding a clear coat wouldn't be further protection.

Adding a clear coat of a film finish may actually be detrimental to the finish. For outdoor use, a painted finish is more UV resistant than any clear coating including any spar varnishes. Maintenance on a painted finish would likely be a light sanding and re-coating. Having a clear topcoat asks for a weathering of that finish causing it to get flaky, crispy, and separating from the base coats.

For an indoor finish, an oil base painted finish should be more than adequate to resist moisture, and cures to a durable finish.
While some finishes can be topcoated by others of a different base, I prefer to stick with a finish regimen of like chemistry.

post #7 of 11 Old 05-04-2011, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Sorry I should have been more specific. Only part of this table will be painted the other 75% will just be unfinished pine wood coated in a clearcoat. I wanted have a uniform water resistant surface. Table will be indoors so uv protection is not that important. The table will get extremely wet. This is my first woodworking project so please forgive my novice talk. Thanks a lot for your help guys.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-04-2011, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

One more question. Has anyone has success with the two part epoxy clear coat bar finish. I'm afraid it will orange the light wood which I dont want. Thanks for the input
post #9 of 11 Old 05-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Old School

Quote:
Sorry I should have been more specific. Only part of this table will be painted the other 75% will just be unfinished pine wood coated in a clearcoat. I wanted have a uniform water resistant surface. Table will be indoors so uv protection is not that important. The table will get extremely wet. This is my first woodworking project so please forgive my novice talk. Thanks a lot for your help guys.
Quote:
One more question. Has anyone has success with the two part epoxy clear coat bar finish. I'm afraid it will orange the light wood which I dont want. Thanks for the input
You could coat the entire surface with the Polycrylic. It works best as any waterbase polyurethane will when sprayed (if you are equipped).

Or, you could apply a clear oil base polyurethane. It may cast an amber tint. Try it on a sample first.

Using a pour on two part epoxy will work and should stay clear. Bare wood will likely look like it would look if you just wet the wood with a bit of water to see what it looks like.

post #10 of 11 Old 05-04-2011, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

How difficult is the epoxy to work with? I have read multiple horror stories on it not hardening or being uneve. I have a lot of money into this table and if i try that and it doesnt work, i dont know what my options would be.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Old School

Quote:
How difficult is the epoxy to work with? I have read multiple horror stories on it not hardening or being uneve. I have a lot of money into this table and if i try that and it doesnt work, i dont know what my options would be.
You're absolutely right. I would go with a wipe on oil base polyurethane or spray on WB polyurethane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode