Pine Veneer - Office Cabinets - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 01-09-2008, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

View asherad's Photo Album My Photos
Pine Veneer - Office Cabinets

Good day everyone - I am beginning to plan out a custom office. The office desk, cabinets, and such ideally will look like Pottery Barn - Bedford collection. Luckily for me, their website explains exactly how they finish the furniture:

"COMPOSITION & CONSTRUCTION

Pine veneer over MDF (medium density fiberboard). MDF is known for its strength and stability. It won't crack, and finishes adhere well to it, which results in a smooth end coat. Joints have 90-degree angles and are glued and nailed. Smoothly painted with lacquer sealant. Finished on all sides. The aniline-dyed black finish is a rich stain which allows visibility of the wood grain. Also available in Mahogany and Antique White (a solid color finish). A 10-step application by hand of either high-gloss paint or high-gloss stain to the frame, sides and interiors, followed by a clear lacquer topcoat applies to all models of this bookcase. The aniline-dyed-black model is distressed by having hand-sanded edges, and hand-rubbed to reveal the wood grain underneath."

I have two questions based off that information:

1. Can anyone recommend a place to purchase pine veneer in Minnesota, or from the web?

2. Should I veneer the MDF, and then cut it to size. Or should I cut the cabinet and desk pieces and then veneer them individually?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-09-2008, 02:34 PM

View mdlbldrmatt135's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Yahoo to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Skype™ to mdlbldrmatt135
Might be easier / Cheaper to find somewhere to Veneer the panels for you. the other option would be a Cabinet grade plywood.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-09-2008, 03:32 PM

View joesdad's Photo Album My Photos
I've never seen pine veneer, but then I've never looked for it either. If you're after a natural pine finish than I guess that's what you'll need, otherwise like mentioned, a decent cabinet grade ply will work. And be less labor.

Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them.
-Albert Einstein :http://armandj.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-09-2008, 08:01 PM

View Joe C's Photo Album My Photos
Check with Rockler or Woodcraft. They carry a variety of veneer in 8 foot rools.

In my opinion, it would be easier to veneer the MDF, then cut it to exact size.

Good luck with your project.

http://www.craftandwoodworking.com
post #5 of 5 Old 01-09-2008, 08:39 PM

View raskgle's Photo Album My Photos
cut for looks

If you cut parts, then put on the veneer for parts you will get the real wood look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asherad View Post
Good day everyone - I am beginning to plan out a custom office. The office desk, cabinets, and such ideally will look lik e Pottery Barn - Bedford collection. Luckily for me, their website ex
plains exactly how they finish the furniture:

"COMPOSITION & CONSTRUCTION

Pine veneer over MDF (medium density fiberboard). MDF is known for its strength and stability. It won't crack, and finishes adhere well to it, which results in a smooth end coat. Joints have 90-degree angles and are glued and nailed. Smoothly painted with lacquer sealant. Finished on all sides. The aniline-dyed black finish is a rich stain which allows visibility of the wood grain. Also available in Mahogany and Antique White (a solid color finish). A 10-step application by hand of either high-gloss paint or high-gloss stain to the frame, sides and interiors, followed by a clear lacquer topcoat applies to all models of this bookcase. The aniline-dyed-black model is distressed by having hand-sanded edges, and hand-rubbed to reveal the wood grain underneath."

I have two questions based off that information:

1. Can anyone recommend a place to purchase pine veneer in Minnesota, or from the web?

2. Should I veneer the MDF, and then cut it to size. Or should I cut the cabinet and desk pieces and then veneer them individually?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode