Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Wood Finishing (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f8/)
-   -   Was this piece stained? (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f8/piece-stained-213635/)

GAF 07-22-2019 12:21 PM

Was this piece stained?
 
I am refinishing an antique dresser that I think (but am not sure) was never stained. It looks like it was only top coated and the overall finish has simply darkened over time.

Is there a way to tell if a piece has been stained or not?

Thanks Gary

Steve Neul 07-22-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAF (Post 2063271)
I am refinishing an antique dresser that I think (but am not sure) was never stained. It looks like it was only top coated and the overall finish has simply darkened over time.

Is there a way to tell if a piece has been stained or not?

Thanks Gary

Forgot the picture.

GAF 07-22-2019 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Neul (Post 2063283)
Forgot the picture.

Oops. Picture added.

John Smith_inFL 07-22-2019 03:59 PM

if there is an inconspicuous place that you can
scrape the finish down to bare wood, then you
will have an idea if it was stained or not.
and if it was, possibly what color or tint was used.

.

.

GAF 07-22-2019 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Smith_inFL (Post 2063311)
if there is an inconspicuous place that you can
scrape the finish down to bare wood, then you
will have an idea if it was stained or not.
and if it was, possibly what color or tint was used.

.

.

I have in fact sanded the back splash but I cannot tell whether or not it has been stained.

Gary

Steve Neul 07-22-2019 04:39 PM

I think it's been stained but without seeing the stripped wood can't say for sure. It looks like a lacquer finish. I think if you had a sprayer you could have sprayed a coat of lacquer on it and it would have almost looked refinished. The white would melt away. If you are going to strip it anyway pour a little lacquer thinner on the white spots and let it dry and you would see what I mean.

GAF 07-22-2019 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Neul (Post 2063319)
I think it's been stained but without seeing the stripped wood can't say for sure. It looks like a lacquer finish. I think if you had a sprayer you could have sprayed a coat of lacquer on it and it would have almost looked refinished. The white would melt away. If you are going to strip it anyway pour a little lacquer thinner on the white spots and let it dry and you would see what I mean.

Steve, I have already sanded the whole dresser top. I wish I had been able to do the lacquer thinner test. I guess I was too impatient (again).

Gary

Steve Neul 07-22-2019 06:02 PM

The wood may have darkened with age. It looks like Honduras mahogany to me.

GAF 07-22-2019 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Neul (Post 2063329)
The wood may have darkened with age. It looks like Honduras mahogany to me.

Steve, thanks for the feedback. Darkening with age was my hunch but I don't have your experience to draw on. Knowing what the wood is helps. It did look like a special wood to me but I was not sure what.

The staining is progressing well. The dresser top has been stained but the backsplash is original. The color match looks very close to me.

Gary

Steve Neul 07-22-2019 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAF (Post 2063347)
Steve, thanks for the feedback. Darkening with age was my hunch but I don't have your experience to draw on. Knowing what the wood is helps. It did look like a special wood to me but I was not sure what.

The staining is progressing well. The dresser top has been stained but the backsplash is original. The color match looks very close to me.

Gary

Mahogany darkens with age. The table and carving are both made out of Honduras mahogany without any stain. The table is about 40 years old where the carving was finished this year.

GAF 07-23-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Neul (Post 2063349)
Mahogany darkens with age. The table and carving are both made out of Honduras mahogany without any stain. The table is about 40 years old where the carving was finished this year.

Steve, if there ever was a project that needed spray capability this would be it. Nice demonstration of the aging impact. Thanks.

Gary

Steve Neul 07-23-2019 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAF (Post 2063361)
Steve, if there ever was a project that needed spray capability this would be it. Nice demonstration of the aging impact. Thanks.

Gary

I know you don't have the space but if you would work with lacquer most days you could spray furniture outdoors. I do finishing work outdoors under a roof. It just couldn't be done in direct sun or windy days. Lacquer dries so fast it doesn't give much of a chance for dust and bugs to get in the finish. It also dries so fast you don't get overspray on other things.

GAF 07-24-2019 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Neul (Post 2063365)
I know you don't have the space but if you would work with lacquer most days you could spray furniture outdoors. I do finishing work outdoors under a roof. It just couldn't be done in direct sun or windy days. Lacquer dries so fast it doesn't give much of a chance for dust and bugs to get in the finish. It also dries so fast you don't get overspray on other things.

Steve, in my climate where I live this would only be possible 3 or 4 months of the year. Some things just aren't meant to be. It's a good thing this is a hobby and I don't have to rely on it.

Gary

Steve Neul 07-24-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAF (Post 2063457)
Steve, in my climate where I live this would only be possible 3 or 4 months of the year. Some things just aren't meant to be. It's a good thing this is a hobby and I don't have to rely on it.

Gary

The only issue with working with lacquer is humidity in warm weather. You can use lacquer below freezing. It takes a lot longer to dry in the cold but is not as slow as oil based finishes.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome