Painting a door - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 8 Old 05-31-2016, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Painting a door

I came up with this simple jig made with some 3/4" plywood and some 3/4x3/4 hardwood to paint doors. The 6" wide plywood enabled the door to lay flat and to be able to sand it between coats but was narrow enough it could be easily turned over with one hand. Name:  IMGP1098.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  57.0 KB

Name:  IMGP1099.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  67.7 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-31-2016, 11:35 PM
Uncle Fester

View unclefester's Photo Album My Photos
I added a 2x6x 18" to each end so I can stack them six high to dry.

Cut it twice, measure once and it's still too short.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-01-2016, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

I used to use a T shaped board to hold the doors up off the horses but it took two people to turn it over. Since I'm working by myself now that was a real problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-01-2016, 03:01 PM

View RandyReed's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I used to use a T shaped board to hold the doors up off the horses but it took two people to turn it over. Since I'm working by myself now that was a real problem.
You need a "rotisserie" set up that will help you turn them over by yourself.

Maybe some sort of dowel rod setup on 1 end and take a 2X4 and drill a hole in it and mount it so that you can then insert the dowel rod end through that hole and you can stand on the other side and turn it over by yourself, if that makes sense. I dont know, something simple......just thinking out loud!
post #5 of 8 Old 06-01-2016, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyReed View Post
You need a "rotisserie" set up that will help you turn them over by yourself.

Maybe some sort of dowel rod setup on 1 end and take a 2X4 and drill a hole in it and mount it so that you can then insert the dowel rod end through that hole and you can stand on the other side and turn it over by yourself, if that makes sense. I dont know, something simple......just thinking out loud!
To use a dowel it would have to have some mechanism to lock it so you could do the between the coats sanding. The jig I made allowed this without any lock. It would have been better if I had made them in advance. I didn't let the glue dry before using them and one of them the joint started coming loose.

It might also be necessary to make one out of steel if the doors were very heavy. These doors were just 1 3/8" pine doors.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-01-2016, 05:15 PM

View RandyReed's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
To use a dowel it would have to have some mechanism to lock it so you could do the between the coats sanding. The jig I made allowed this without any lock. It would have been better if I had made them in advance. I didn't let the glue dry before using them and one of them the joint started coming loose.

It might also be necessary to make one out of steel if the doors were very heavy. These doors were just 1 3/8" pine doors.
True, I was just throwing something out there!

I always paint doors with vinyl paint and I add 15% acetone. That way I can spray a door, set it to the side and go to the next. On my 4th door, my first door is ready to spray on the other side as the vinyl will dry in about 5 minutes.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-01-2016, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyReed View Post
True, I was just throwing something out there!

I always paint doors with vinyl paint and I add 15% acetone. That way I can spray a door, set it to the side and go to the next. On my 4th door, my first door is ready to spray on the other side as the vinyl will dry in about 5 minutes.
I don't have that kind of resources. In order to use a better paint I have to drive the color sample 50 miles to the paint store, wait four days for them to mix it and then go back and get the paint. Therefore I either use an alkyd enamel or latex.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-01-2016, 07:48 PM

View mat 60's Photo Album My Photos
Great idea Steve...Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode