Paint Finishes - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 01-24-2007, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

View BULLHART's Photo Album My Photos
Paint Finishes

I have a customer who wants a special paint finish on a few pieces of furniture that I am making. It has a base coat of one color, then a "wipe off" glaze coat. Reminds me of the wipe off glaze cabinet finish that is getting popular around here. Anyway, besides being an insult to the piece of furniture that I am making her, this finish is unfamiliar to me. Any tips on type of paint and application of the wipe off glaze.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-24-2007, 09:27 AM
Rob

View Rob's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry that I don't know the first thing about this. I think though someplace like Sherwin Williams should be able to either help or point you in the right direction.

Never lick a steak knife.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-17-2007, 09:48 PM

View kevin's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLHART View Post
I have a customer who wants a special paint finish on a few pieces of furniture that I am making. It has a base coat of one color, then a "wipe off" glaze coat. Reminds me of the wipe off glaze cabinet finish that is getting popular around here. Anyway, besides being an insult to the piece of furniture that I am making her, this finish is unfamiliar to me. Any tips on type of paint and application of the wipe off glaze.
Glazing is an updgrade on stained pieces, it adds character and depth. On painted stuff it seems kind of a waste of money for the consumer (a lot of work) but whatever. It's an art, but at the same time is rather simple and if you f up, you have the luxury of wiping down and starting all over.

Finishing schedule normally is base coat tinted CV (or precat laq, whatever), scuff w/ 220, clearcoat CV, scuff with a scotchbrite pad. wipe on glaze, brush off with a dry brush, clear topcoat, scuff 220, clear topcoat.

Some people go have additional steps and go vinyl sealer,scuff, tinted Laq, scuff, Clear Laq, scuff, glaze, vinyl sealer,scuff, clear topcoat, scuff, clear topcoat.

I'm guessing you already have this completed by now care to show the pics if you have them?

Me personally I would use a water white CV such as Resistant, as there really is no water white laq as far as I'm concerned. Even if it is called ww.

I just read this, sorry for righting scuff so many times. I really just should've said scuff w/ scotchbrite before glazing because it minimizes scratches for the glaze to hide in, and don't scuff after the glaze.

Last edited by kevin; 02-17-2007 at 09:54 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode