oil and water don't mix .. now what? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 03-21-2012, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

View fromeast2west's Photo Album My Photos
Question oil and water don't mix .. now what?

In a nut shell: I had to refinish a few pieces of furniture in a rush, and between the prep (which included cleaning and rinsing with water) and applying the oil based finish I didn't let the wood dry enough.

The result, as you can guess, was a bunch of messy junk. I scrapped/sanded the mess off, tried to heat up my workshop to get the wood to dry faster... and the next test coat I painted was better but still kind of messy.

I have a few days left to produce something decent, and the finish needs to be dark. I was thinking of just wiping down, letting it dry, and then going over the dry but messy finish with a dark wax. I can scrape it all off next week, but I need something usable a decent looking this weekend.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-21-2012, 07:05 PM

View chemmy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromeast2west View Post
In a nut shell: I had to refinish a few pieces of furniture in a rush, and between the prep (which included cleaning and rinsing with water) and applying the oil based finish I didn't let the wood dry enough.

The result, as you can guess, was a bunch of messy junk. I scrapped/sanded the mess off, tried to heat up my workshop to get the wood to dry faster... and the next test coat I painted was better but still kind of messy.

I have a few days left to produce something decent, and the finish needs to be dark. I was thinking of just wiping down, letting it dry, and then going over the dry but messy finish with a dark wax. I can scrape it all off next week, but I need something usable a decent looking this weekend.

Any suggestions?

OK, calm down, rushing is what got you here in the first place,

So far all i can say is though your using some type of oil finish and possibly an oil stain for darkness there is no mention of what type it is? Varnish/ polyurethane/ other? for future refferece, buy a heat gun or high powered hair dryer [1800 watts or more] so that if you have to dry something quickly, you can do so in a proper way ok?

Next, do you have time to take it back to raw wood again? or are you looking for a way to "save" the unsaveable?

Also forget the wax, put it out of your mind, the trouble it can cause in re-doing is just as bad as cold or water.

Last edited by chemmy; 03-21-2012 at 07:12 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-21-2012, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

View fromeast2west's Photo Album My Photos
It would be great to save what I can.

I'll have to check the brand of the stain when I get home. I got two with the plan that I'd try both to compare results, one is a Rustoleum wood finish, the other is an Ace Hardware store brand.

I may have to resort to heat lamps or similar to get things to dry with the damp, wet weather we're having these days.

Overall I don't mind if the pieces end up looking a bit streaky or worn. The two other projects I've done so far were 'rustic' due to a lack of tools and skill, .. and came out pretty good looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-21-2012, 07:15 PM

View chemmy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromeast2west View Post
It would be great to save what I can.

I'll have to check the brand of the stain when I get home. I got two with the plan that I'd try both to compare results, one is a Rustoleum wood finish, the other is an Ace Hardware store brand.

I may have to resort to heat lamps or similar to get things to dry with the damp, wet weather we're having these days.

Overall I don't mind if the pieces end up looking a bit streaky or worn. The two other projects I've done so far were 'rustic' due to a lack of tools and skill, .. and came out pretty good looking.
OK then post a pic of what they look like so i or others can at least give ideas on where to go from here ok?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode